Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Next Gen Platformers

Options
  • 15-11-2013 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

I haven't played many games in the last few years but I've got a hankering for platformers. Challenging, not much investment in terms of time / intensity / emotion <__< >__>

So I'll probably get the ps1 emulator going and fire up crash bandicoot in the coming days.

What I'm wondering is, I can't think of any platformers of that ilk in the current gen. Are there any that you'd recommend that are challenging?
    (Lego series for example is too easy, or lacking or something)
    I am excluding nintendo from this as by all accounts they seem to be keeping the scene alive, however I don't play mario games because I assume they are also a bit too easy.

And what's the story in terms of xbox one and ps4, do you think there'll still be room for platformers? Any series you think should/could be updated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Rayman Legends, it's brilliant. It's not hugely difficult (I don't own it but my nephew does so played it a few times with him) but it has plenty of replay value and hidden stuff. And it's brilliant, the musical levels are impossible to play without grinning like a loon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Maybe try Super Meat Boy (can get its on PC, Xbox 360). That is an excellent platformer, and its pretty challenging.

Also, heard good things about 1001 Spikes, but not played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

^ sony seriously missed a trick by not getting Super Meat Boy on PSN, they didn't think "anyone was interested" apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

if you have a ps3 id recommend outland, its a really beautiful platformer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Spelunky, crazy hard game if the random generator really doesnt like ya, but so damn addictive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

One lad I know has been going on and on about Fez (XBox/PC). Haven't played it myself, I'm not much into platformers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Alice: Madness Returns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I haven't played many games in the last few years but I've got a hankering for platformers. Challenging, not much investment in terms of time / intensity / emotion <__< >__>

So I'll probably get the ps1 emulator going and fire up crash bandicoot in the coming days.

What I'm wondering is, I can't think of any platformers of that ilk in the current gen. Are there any that you'd recommend that are challenging?
    (Lego series for example is too easy, or lacking or something)
    I am excluding nintendo from this as by all accounts they seem to be keeping the scene alive, however I don't play mario games because I assume they are also a bit too easy.

And what's the story in terms of xbox one and ps4, do you think there'll still be room for platformers? Any series you think should/could be updated?

Give the ps2 emulator a try - pcsx2 it is compatible with most games now. the Nintendo 64 emulator project 64 with the platformer game called conkers bad fur day is a good one.

For pc: Trine 1 & 2 are good and also The swapper. The swapper is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

zenno wrote: »
    Give the ps2 emulator a try - pcsx2 it is compatible with most games now. the Nintendo 64 emulator project 64 with the platformer game called conkers bad fur day is a good one.

For pc: Trine 1 & 2 are good and also The swapper. The swapper is a good one.

Ah my machine can't handle it, tried mgs2 and was getting about 5 FPS!

Ah my machine can't handle it, tried mgs2 and was getting about 5 FPS!

I see. Well there are some good platformer games for sure on the ps1 emulator, the problem is looking for, and reviewing them all from the ps1 from 1994 till today to find a good platformer one. There is a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Rayman Legends, Rayman Legends, Rayman Legends. Loads of content in the game, it looks and plays great. I think it's my game of the year, although maybe Zelda or Mario 3d World will change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm not having a go, but may I ask why you assume the Mario games are a bit too easy?

And what platforms are you looking for the games on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I don't play mario games because I assume they are also a bit too easy.

that's up there with the strangest things ive ever seen someone post about video games. im not saying you're right or wrong, but it's just a bizarre post in general

mario is easy if you want it to be easy and a challenge if you want it to be a challenge. that is to say depending on how you play it, the difficulty increases or decreases. you can just plough through the levels, or you can collect and discover everything

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

COYVB wrote: »
    that's up there with the strangest things ive ever seen someone post about video games. im not saying you're right or wrong, but it's just a bizarre post in general

mario is easy if you want it to be easy and a challenge if you want it to be a challenge. that is to say depending on how you play it, the difficulty increases or decreases. you can just plough through the levels, or you can collect and discover everything

Agreed. Getting all 120 stars in Mario Galaxy and all 242 in Mario Galaxy 2 I wouldn't call particularly easy. Simply going and beating Bowser once isn't that difficult. Even the New Mario games can have some difficulty if you want to get all the big coins and finish all the levels. Play Super Mario Lost Levels and tell me it's easy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

abbir wrote: »
    Agreed. Getting all 120 stars in Mario Galaxy and all 242 in Mario Galaxy 2 I wouldn't call particularly easy. Simply going and beating Bowser once isn't that difficult. Even the New Mario games can have some difficulty if you want to get all the big coins and finish all the levels. Play Super Mario Lost Levels and tell me it's easy :D

Lost levels aka Mario 2 is hard no doubt, but it's made harder by how poorly Mario handles. His acceleration is bizarre and very different to how he handles in any other Mario game.

Super mario 64 for the nintendo was a tough one I found, there were parts in it that were nearly impossible to beat, but you get it eventually. That level way into it when you have to shoot yourself through a cannon to land on each cloud was a hard one as I didn't have the wings to fly, I never even found the wing-boots.

The music and underwater levels were amazing on this game. I finished it and got to the last level and It's the best platformer I ever played and this was a good few years ago. Excellent game for sure and played it on the Nemu emulator.

Advertisement