Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC System - PIR w/ Image Capture

Options
  • 15-11-2013 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi there,

Am looking at getting a system installed shortly. The most likely installation will be a pretty classic setup of all HKC gear (1070 panel with GSM unit) with contact/shock sensors on accessible doors/windows and an additional few PIR's inside.

As part of looking at Phonewatch's Smart Security System (which we've since discounted) I have kinda become a fan of the idea of having PIR's which will take images and send them on (to the keyholders).

To the best of my knowledge HKC don't have PIR's with this sort of functionality (whereas I see that securigard are listing equipment which looks to be able to do it).

Anyone know whether there is in fact some piece of HKC kit which can do this, or of any Non-HKC kit can be used with the HKC panel? Or even if HKC might have plans to create a PIR like this at some point?

Thanks,
    Michael.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Visonic do them.
    http://www.visonic.com/Products/PowerG-Wireless-Property-Protection/next-cam-pg2
    I am in no way a fan of these systems.
    Am I the only one who has issue with an ARC controller having access to internal cameras on a residential property?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭moshea

well perhaps this speaks to my understanding of how they work ..

I do/did have an issue with the smartwatch setup where their guys review the pictures etc in case of an activation. (and possibly have access to the cameras outside of an activation - though the PW dudes are adamant that thats not possible).

Though I thought that there might be others (the securigard ones for example) which could be setup send pictures to the keyholders in addition to alerting the monitoring crowd in the more normal fashion.

?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

moshea wrote: »
    well perhaps this speaks to my understanding of how they work ..

I do/did have an issue with the smartwatch setup where their guys review the pictures etc in case of an activation. (and possibly have access to the cameras outside of an activation - though the PW dudes are adamant that thats not possible).

Though I thought that there might be others (the securigard ones for example) which could be setup send pictures to the keyholders in addition to alerting the monitoring crowd in the more normal fashion.

?

I think images can be viewed either way. The system is bound to allow pre alarm images.
    Either way. You or your Mrs walking around starters and you accidentally set off the alarm......
    Your in bed at night and the alarm activates, first thing ye will do is jump up..
    There will be controllers lining up for the graveyard shifts now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭moshea

pre alarm images is something they're gonna have to manage the perception of very carefully. It was certainly the first thing I thought about.

I asked if it was possible, and when I got the expected reply saying it wasn't, I asked could I get something in writing stating that it wasn't technically possible - and they said I could.

So then refining my initial question ...

What I'm after is a PIR that can work with the HKC panel which captures imagine, which are NOT accessible to the monitoring crowd, but will send an independent notification to the keyholders with the images.

Am guessing at this stage, that this might not be possible ...

Not with HKC AFAIK. It is possible with Siemens SPC range using certain IP cameras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭altor

moshea wrote: »
    So then refining my initial question ...

What I'm after is a PIR that can work with the HKC panel which captures imagine, which are NOT accessible to the monitoring crowd, but will send an independent notification to the keyholders with the images.

Am guessing at this stage, that this might not be possible ...

What about using an IP Camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Special Ops

Just a quick question, How are these pictures send to the monitoring system? is the feed encrypted or open to man in the middle attacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

It's not a live feed . It sends the photos upon activation . 3 photos.
    So in theory it shouldn't be an issue if you ran past a pir cause the photos would have been already taken and sent.
    I think there's a 2 second delay between photos.

The risco agility can also do what you want but unfortunately your key holders can request photos any time they want from the app.
    It's all wireless too .

Maybe you could link an external cctv system in with the HKC panel. You could link the alarm outputs to a relay which could be connected to the alarm ports on your DVR and set to send you a push notification. You could also use another relay to control the power to the cctv cameras meaning you'll only be allowed view them while the alarm is sounding. So there'd be no issue with peeping toms during a nighttime activation as you could have a keypad beside your bed.
    With the HKC system I think the app will be restricted to installers only. So you'll need an installer to set it up and make any future adjustments.
    The Siemens and Risco gear will allow you to make changes yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Just a quick question, How are these pictures send to the monitoring system? is the feed encrypted or open to man in the middle attacks?

If the system has a standard GSM unit and is using this to relay the signals to the monitoring station, then yes it is prone to a GSM blocker.

Advertisement