Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for a Quote

Options
  • 15-11-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

I was at a funeral earlier today and the priest made a good quote which was apparently from a 20th century philosopher (the name escapes me now).

It basically went along the lines of "the one thing people can't take away from you is your attitude towards a situation"... I know that's extremely vague but is it ringing any bells with anyone?

Thanks for any responses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Charles R. Swindoll
    The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts.... We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes.

William James
    Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.

W. Clement Stone
    There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”

― Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

Joe1919 wrote: »
    “Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”

That's it!!

shanered wrote: »
    Charles R. Swindoll
    The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts.... We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10 percent what happens to me and 90 percent how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes.

William James
    Whenever you're in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.

W. Clement Stone
    There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.

They're excellent quotes too!

Thanks folks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

This thread has real potential, if someone would like to expand on the philosophy of these quotes in terms of in depth meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

i like reading john dewey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

Black Swan wrote: »
    This thread has real potential, if someone would like to expand on the philosophy of these quotes in terms of in depth meaning.
    Reminds me of a story I've heard attributed to the Buddha:

One day a man angrily lambasted the buddha saying that he was a charlatan and that he knew nothing about the human condition. After the man had directed his vitriolic diatribe toward the Buddha, the Buddha asked him a question. He asked, if someone buys a gift for another person and the other person refuses to accept the gift, to whom does the gift belong? The man replied that it belonged to the person who bought the gift.

To this the buddha replied that he refused to accept the mans anger and unhappiness that the man directed towards him (the Buddha).

Essentially the message is that, the buddha could've become upset at the mans anger and vitriol, but to do so would only cause him to be unhappy; instead, he accepted that the man was angry but he wasn't going to let it affect him.

We can do the same, although it often isn't quite so easy. Other peoples words or actions can often knock us out of our stride, they can upset or anger us, but ultimately our reaction is the only thing we have the possibility to control. The way our minds are conditioned means that it usually takes practice and self-awareness to achieve that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Joe1919 wrote: »

Very good book.

Loved his opinion that it was those who gave their last piece of bread to a fellow starved prisoner that survived the longest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement