Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New v's Pre_loved €1k budget

Options
  • 15-11-2013 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭

So my last laptop cost me €1000. That was September 2006 :o

I love gadgets and tech and change my phone at least once a year (HTC one atm) have 1st gen iPad and a galaxy note 10.1 tablet.

I'm starting a college course in January and I need a newish laptop. They are recommending something no more than 4 years old to cope with software that will be provided. I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to tech specs and the benefits of win 7 vs 8 etc. I built my own desktop in 2005 :o ,decent spec at the time, ran half life 2 at a high fps Everything on full. Not much of a benchmark these days I know but I do like to play the odd pc game, and I've been ordered by OH to ditch the behemoth desktop.

Anyway.. I'm looking at an alienware m17xR3
    This one actually http://www.adverts.ie/4143182
    Any opinions and what is it worth do you think?

Is it a better buy than €1000 spent on a Windows 8 ultrabook or laptop. Touchscreen- ya or nay?

The m17x is heading for its 3rd birthday, am I mad? Id never consider buying a phone that old although I got the HTC one after I had the s4 which was older and I prefer it. Age and mileage don't bother me when it comes to cars - spec and service history is what I'm after.

Thoughts and contributions greatly appreciated if you can find the time amongst the myriad of what laptop should I buy threads :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

If you are using it for college I wouldn't recommend a gaming laptop or desktop replacement. I imagine you will be bringing it to lectures, labs, etc. A 17 inch laptop isn't really great for that IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭pah

Kevo wrote: »
    If you are using it for college I wouldn't recommend a gaming laptop or desktop replacement. I imagine you will be bringing it to lectures, labs, etc. A 17 inch laptop isn't really great for that IMO.

Thanks, Forgot to say it's a part time course over 2 years mostly online content delivery from UCD So I won't be lugging it to lectures. I want something that size tbh

Looks like he will take 800, seems fair imo

Pulled the trigger on this, looks like a beast of a machine. Good advice earlier about bringing this to lectures, it's an no no I'd say. Just what I need though is like a portable high end desktop. I'll post a bit on it once I've had a chance to play around.

Advertisement