Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USPS courier in Ireland

Options
  • 15-11-2013 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭

I bought something on eBay that is being sent from the US. Trouble is my address is in a rural area so I asked the seller to put my telephone number on the package in case he can't find where I live. They didn't put it on it though. The courier is USPS (I have a tracking number).
    I just want to know when the package arrives in Ireland is it delivered by An Post or a courier service based here? (e.g. DHL or DPD).
    If it is An Post that is OK as the postman knows where I live. Couriers would not have a clue though.
    P&P was 7 euros (they are diet supplement tablets) so that doesn't sound enough to be couriered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Do you mean UPS is the courier? As USPS is the US Postal Service, which would generally be handed over to An Post when it gets to this country as far as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭yomamasflavour

lukin wrote: »
    I bought something on eBay that is being sent from the US. Trouble is my address is in a rural area so I asked the seller to put my telephone number on the package in case he can't find where I live. They didn't put it on it though. The courier is USPS (I have a tracking number).
    I just want to know when the package arrives in Ireland is it delivered by An Post or a courier service based here? (e.g. DHL or DPD).
    If it is An Post that is OK as the postman knows where I live. Couriers would not have a clue though.
    P&P was 7 euros (they are diet supplement tablets) so that doesn't sound enough to be couriered.

There's an option in your Ebay settings to add a phone number to your address. It's a must.

I've found with a number of couriers that they just don't make any effort to deliver unless they have a number.

I can't see why, no reason they couldn't phone the local post office etc. if stuck particularly these days when everyone has gps/google maps.

I think the USPS priority etc. is handed over to An Post, but not the regular postman. They use An Post's courier (signature on delivery) service.
    I always find them a pain if I'm not in, as they don't drop the parcel to the local post office but instead bring it back across the city to the depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

OP - you are aware that customs might seize the supplements !

if they are suitable for sale in the US they may not be suitable for sale/purchase over here in Ireland, so its possible you may never get the package and its not going to be the fault of the postie.

normally USPS goes through Germany and into Ireland so an post will handle delivery…. but if its ups then they will handle delivery themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭lukin

Soundman wrote: »
    Do you mean UPS is the courier? As USPS is the US Postal Service, which would generally be handed over to An Post when it gets to this country as far as I recall.

No I mean US Postal Service. I checked my EBay account and my phone number is already on my address. I've had stuff not delivered to me before 'cause the courier can't find the address even though my phone number is on the package and all he has to do is give me a ring.
    Anyway from those replies it seems the package will be routed via An Post so that is good enough for me.
    Thanks.

Advertisement