Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 Inch GoClever Orion 70 - Tesco - €99.99

Options
  • 15-11-2013 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Was just in Tesco Ashbourne and down near the end of the lemonade aisle is a stand for a tablet. The GoClever orion 70.
    No idea if its any good or if its similar to the hudl which isnt supposed to be released here, but reckon some people might be interested

heres the specs
    Processor Quad Core Allwinner A31 1GHz (Cortex A7) + PowerVR SGX544MP2 (8 GPU)
    Operating System Android 4.2
    App Store Full access to Google Play
    RAM 1GB DDR3 Internal Storage 8GB MLC NAND flash
    Screen 7" TN LCD 1024x600
    Touch 5 Point Capacitive Multi-Touch
    WiFi Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n)3G external dongle 3G (optional) BlueTooth No Gps No Portable Hotspot Yes
    Front Camera 0.3 Mpix
    Headphone Connector 1x mini jack 3.5 mm
    Radio Fm No Ports HDMI 1x miniHDMI 1.4 FullHD SD Card Reader 1x micro SD HC 32GB USB Ports 1x microUSB OTg G Sensor Yes
    Supported Formats
    Video AVI, 3GP, MP4, RM, RMVB, FLV, MKV, MOV, VOB, DAT, WMV
    Photo JPEG/PNG/GIF(static)/BMP
    Audio MP3/WAV/OGG/FLAC/APE/AAC
    Ebook PDF/EPUB/TXT/FB2/PDB/RTF
    Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint
    Battery 3000mAh li-polymer 3.7V
    Working Time Up to 5 hours Warranty 2 year manufacturer's warranty

imag33820hu1r.jpgimag338377u6x.jpgimag3384i7uz2.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blastit

I saw that too. Quad core processor and a gig of ram. Seems not bad for surfing/email. Does any one know case with the keyboard comes with it as it seems here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

It's a hell of a lot better than the single core 7in tablets that were doing the rounds in retail stores last year. But the screen is still rubbish.

You can still get a lot better for a little more money online. But as starter tablet for a young child or to test the waters with an older person, it'd suffice. I guess this means Ireland won't be getting the hudl this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

I may jump in on this thread as well please..

what would you recommend for a few quid more Simi? I was looking at this one myself
    http://www.pixmania.ie/tablets/asus-me173x-1b056a-wifi-7-8-gb-black-tablets/21767156-a.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yes, that Asus has got great reviews everywhere i have read, getting it myself for xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1 em13

Simi wrote: »
    It's a hell of a lot better than the single core 7in tablets that were doing the rounds in retail stores last year. But the screen is still rubbish.

You can still get a lot better for a little more money online. But as starter tablet for a young child or to test the waters with an older person, it'd suffice. I guess this means Ireland won't be getting the hudl this side of Christmas.

Would the go clever be ok for my girlfriend who would just be browsing the web and watching Netflix and that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cs5

These are on sale tomorrow in Tesco for €70. It's a one-day-only offer. Seems like a decent enough starting off tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lollyypop

Do not purchase this product I work for tesco I bought this product thinking sweet a cheap tablet looks like it could be good.. wrong. The tablet picks up WiFi perfect however in order for it to function with any speed one needs network coverage for what network I don't know, I live beside a major mast which supports all Irish networks and have traveled to the UK with my orion tablet and still nothing and nobody in tesco knows anything about this machine and because i misplaced my receipt there is nothing that can be done therefore I am stuck with a slow useless tablet (with poor battery life also) and a loss of €100 I encourage anyone investing in a tablet to research so as not to make my mistake. Not a happy customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lollyypop

Do not make this purchase this product I work for tesco I bought this product thinking sweet a cheap tablet looks like it could be good.. wrong. The tablet picks up WiFi perfect however in order for it to function with any speed one needs network coverage for what network I don't know, I live beside a major mast which supports all Irish networks and have traveled to the UK with my orion tablet and still nothing and nobody in tesco knows anything about this machine and because i misplaced my receipt there is nothing that can be done therefore I am stuck with a slow useless tablet (with poor battery life also) and a loss of €100 I encourage anyone investing in a tablet to research so as not to make my mistake. Not a happy customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 luckysurfer

Poor product. Apart from a nice looking casing it smells cheap and nasty from the onset. The start up/troubleshooting guide sets the tone and is full of typos. The tablets themselves are a bit flakey with a questionable processing chip. Slow and battery draining. They certainly don't live up to their promises. Being quad core, they can run gaming apps very well, once they have been sucessfully downloaded and launched that is. But they are of little use for anything else. User support is poor and the tablets themselves don't stand up well to heavy use and wear and tear. The conditions of the warranty are a joke. You'ld probably have smashed it in frustration before you thought about the warranty anyway. We had a big problem where suddenly the memory almost ran out on one and it kept freezing before we could even get a chance rectify it in settings. For the bin....after 2 months! Please pay lots more for something with a good reviews. If it lasts a year, it will be 6 times longer than this! Anyone with similar experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭gussieg

Yes. And I'm ashamed and embarrassed to say I bought this the day after you posted this. Bought to check it out, for 69.99 , but it came with NO keyboard. The girl in the tesco branch was trying to say I had only 14 days to return as after buying a similar priced tabletop from Asda, that they happily refunded me for when the charging port no longer worked, apart from that it was a better quality item than this. Really annoyed as I wanted to get for my mum who despite saying she doesn't want one, would happily watch the racing results on one if it were solid, and reliable which alas, this ain't. I am however writing on it at this moment, it continues to have keyboard tones even though I'd tried to change the settings, its nowhere as good as the Hudl or the samsung that is being reduced in most outlets now due to imminent arrival of newer model. That's 69.99 I would so be delighted to have back, and have been keeping the box in good condition . Asda has /had a 12 month warranty on their electrical products. Shame on you Tesco if there is not a similar warranty in place.

• Advertisement

Yes. And I'm ashamed and embarrassed to say I bought this the day after you posted this. Bought to check it out, for 69.99 , but it came with NO keyboard. The girl in the tesco branch was trying to say I had only 14 days to return as after buying a similar priced tabletop from Asda, that they happily refunded me for when the charging port no longer worked, apart from that it was a better quality item than this. Really annoyed as I wanted to get for my mum who despite saying she doesn't want one, would happily watch the racing results on one if it were solid, and reliable which alas, this ain't. I am however writing on it at this moment, it continues to have keyboard tones even though I'd tried to change the settings, its nowhere as good as the Hudl or the samsung that is being reduced in most outlets now due to imminent arrival of newer model. That's 69.99 I would so be delighted to have back, and have been keeping the box in good condition . Asda has /had a 12 month warranty on their electrical products. Shame on you Tesco if there is not a similar warranty in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

There's one here the kids use. Here's the lowdown...

+ Mini HDMI port (works great for plugging into TV)
    + Seems to have 3G capability
    + Reasonably fast, runs most apps without issues.

- Pretty washed out screen on it, not awful, just not very notable. Poor viewing angle.
    - The WiFi on it is really bad...the speeds are perpetually slow and range is poor.
    - Battery is, no surprise, terrible.

Would I get this for €100? Hell no. We got it for €50 because of a trade in deal. Go for the Nook HD at that price or a refurb Nexus 7/Galaxy Tab, way more for your money.
    em13 wrote: »
    Would the go clever be ok for my girlfriend who would just be browsing the web and watching Netflix and that?
    She'd do a lot better with a different tablet to be honest. I know I sound like a salesperson but the Nook HD is just incredible for the money, great display that really pops out and strong WiFi antenna. Enough speed for most apps. I got mine from Blackwell's.

Hi the Goclever has now frozen screen, got an anguished call from the mother. Have the receipt , is there any point going to Tescos with it, or will they just try and fob us off again, like they did over the iphone tv cables that are now obsolete and cost 15 euro and no longer work due to software incompatibility with the iphone?
    69.99 just thinking of all the dinners and flip flops and leaky tents and car tools i could be getting instead from Tescos with that.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

gussieg wrote: »
    Hi the Goclever has now frozen screen, got an anguished call from the mother. Have the receipt , is there any point going to Tescos with it, or will they just try and fob us off again, like they did over the iphone tv cables that are now obsolete and cost 15 euro and no longer work due to software incompatibility with the iphone?
    69.99 just thinking of all the dinners and flip flops and leaky tents and car tools i could be getting instead from Tescos with that.. :D

Tesco are feeding you a line of bullshyte....

you only got this device a few months, you have a contract of sale with Tesco, and there is in existence a EU Statutory Warranty, covering purchases for two years, which have or develop faults within that period.....

this is in addition to any Manufacturers or Retailers Guarantee.

Take it back, and demand your money back or an exchange for a new device. if you prefer. I would not opt for a repair of this thing.

See here for your consumer rights in the EU:

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/ecc/consumer_topics/buying_goods_services_en.htm

Irish Consumer Agency advice:

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods

Download and print this and bring it with you:

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/media/Yourrightswhenshopping1.pdf

Advertisement