Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dawn of android consoles?

Options
  • 15-11-2013 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭

I was just wasting time online and i couldn't help notice that the 8th gen seemes almost cluttered by the sheer number of new micro-consoles launching. We have the OUYA, the Gamestick, the M.O.J.O., the Gamepop and the Nvidia Shield. (which doubles as a handheald) and this is discounting the Steam Machine! Heck, there's another one i'm trying to think of that does streaming but I forgot it's name.

Do these devices really have a future? will people spend the money to play tablet games on the tv instead of the tablet, assuming they have one?

Personally, I think if there's a market for these, it'll probably be a fight between OUYA and Gamestick as the others may be too expensive for what they are. Nvidia Shield alone is something like 50 dollars cheaper than the PS4 :eek:

It's all going to be interesting anyway. I love the innovation and ideas behind some of this stuff but there likely isn't enough room for all of them. The ideas are great but are in danger of coming off as rather gimmicky. I don't know if i'll get one and even then i'd have to wait until all the bugs are ironed out.

anyway, I'd love to get a discussion/predictions going on this and see what everyone else thinks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I was just wasting time online and i couldn't help notice that the 8th gen seemes almost cluttered by the sheer number of new micro-consoles launching. We have the OUYA, the Gamestick, the M.O.J.O., the Gamepop and the Nvidia Shield. (which doubles as a handheald) and this is discounting the Steam Machine! Heck, there's another one i'm trying to think of that does streaming but I forgot it's name.

Do these devices really have a future? will people spend the money to play tablet games on the tv instead of the tablet, assuming they have one?

Personally, I think if there's a market for these, it'll probably be a fight between OUYA and Gamestick as the others may be too expensive for what they are. Nvidia Shield alone is something like 50 dollars cheaper than the PS4 :eek:

It's all going to be interesting anyway. I love the innovation and ideas behind some of this stuff but there likely isn't enough room for all of them. The ideas are great but are in danger of coming off as rather gimmicky. I don't know if i'll get one and even then i'd have to wait until all the bugs are ironed out.

anyway, I'd love to get a discussion/predictions going on this and see what everyone else thinks.

How powerful are these systems? I guess its just a platform so why would they not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Potatoeman wrote: »
    How powerful are these systems? I guess its just a platform so why would they not work.

I own the Ouya, its not that powerful but plays most android games.

The potential winning point for the Ouya or similar is how easy it is for developers to get games on it. What that means is you have some really interesting and different games poping up on it. Ouyas shop is bit crappy though, so its hard for the gems to rise to the top.

I dont play the ouya too much at the moment, but I also dont play my ps3 too much either so dont read into that too much :P

I do love my ouya as an XMBC box. Although the ethernet port seems to have stopped working on it lately so I must get on to them

Advertisement