Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unlocking phone damaging to phone?

Options
  • 14-11-2013 10:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭

I was told recently that getting your phone unlocked through a 3rd party company can damage your phone. I can understand this if you get it down through a untrustworthy company but it doesnt apply to all unlockings, does it?

Btw it is the Nokia Lumia 520 im hoping to buy from meteor for €99 and get unlocked so i can stay with 3 bill pay :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Are you buying the phone sim free from Meteor for €99 or is it on a pay as you go basis?

Not sure about different service providers but think that even if it's pay as you go you may still be tied in to a 12 month period where the phone can't be unlocked.

If that's not the case then I think you can request that the provider send you an unlock code, I recently gave my Galaxy S2 to my brother after I upgraded to the S4, got an unlock code from Three and he was then able to use his Vodafone sim in it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭pillphil

How much is the unlock?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭corkoian

All networks have a minimum spend before they will unlock for you so your talking €160 to basically get it unlocked. I can get it for €154 on Littlewoods unlocked but i just want to explore other options first :)

I just bought one from littlewoods a couple of hours ago. :)
    I thought about getting one from one of the phone companies and getting it unlocked in a shop, but there's always the chance of something going wrong with the phone, if that happens and it's sent back to say, Meteor, for repairs, when you get it back, it'll be locked again.
    So if yo do go down that road, make sure you get the code and keep it written down somewhere if you can.

As far as damaging the phone, it shouldn't, but I'm no expert on the subject. I've heard of givi sims overheating, but not of a standard unlock doing any damage. Although entering the wrong code more than x number of times can prevent it from ever being unlocked.

If you do get it off littlewoods, 3PQRE is 10% off.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Advertisement

pillphil wrote: »
    If you do get it off littlewoods, 3PQRE is 10% off.

I found that discount code but i was holding out for a 20% one. Looks like ill be waiting awhile tho :/

I just stuck in code after code from mumsnet until one worked:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You can get it for as low as €123.00 unlocked at Amazon.de. Postage extra.

pillphil wrote: »
    I just stuck in code after code from mumsnet until one worked:D
    That site is great, that's where i found it too :D I googled discount codes and it was the first one up :P
    You can get it for as low as €123.00 unlocked at Amazon.de. Postage extra.

Do they post to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

corkoian wrote: »
    That site is great, that's where i found it too :D I googled discount codes and it was the first one up :P

Do they post to Ireland?

Yep. No problems either:).

• Advertisement
Advertisement