Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pissed off with PTSB online automatic logoff time!!

Options
  • 14-11-2013 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there,

Are there any other people equally pissed off with the 5 minutes automatic logoff time on Permanent TSB online banking site? If you leave the site idle for more than 5 mins. it will log you out and you'd have to log in again.

I don't know how about other Irish banks but I have 3 accounts in banks outside Ireland and they have 10 minutes automatic logoff time, which is usually sufficient.

If you use online banking a lot you often need to check some things, talk to your business partner, check your accounts - and it takes time. It absolutely drives me mad that I have to keep logging in several times!!!

I wrote to them twice - 6 years ago, when they introduced the service and a couple of months ago and you know what they wrote back? "We have assessed the information provided by the online access and no pages take more than this amount of time to complete or view.Please ensure you have any required information to hand before logging in to ensure that you can view or complete any pages you require quickly and efficiently."

I can't have all required information at hand and I don't.

I am just throwing an idea: if there is more of us, could we flood them with emails demanding extension of the 5 minutes logoff time?!

Here is their email: information@permanenttsb.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Personally I'd consider that a good security feature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

not sure what there is to complain about. I'm perfectly happy with such a security feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

I'm very happy with it. Proper security measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

Given the amount of online fraud, I agree that the 5 minute auto log out is a good security feature.

When you log in you can download your statements as PDF or in Excel, that sounds like what you may need to do, any reason why you don’t do that?. That gives you plenty of time to review your statements offline.

Also, when you do get logged out it only takes 10 seconds to log back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 natureslover

not sure what there is to complain about. I'm perfectly happy with such a security feature.

Would you be happier with 1 minute - that is even safer? :) There is a thin balance between security and funcionality.
    10 minutes is equally safe and it allows time to do what you have to do: ring your friend, check the account number etc. I am ready for a compromise of 7,5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Would you be happier with 1 minute - that is even safer? :) There is a thin balance between security and funcionality.
    10 minutes is equally safe and it allows time to do what you have to do: ring your friend, check the account number etc. I am ready for a compromise of 7,5 minutes.

i didnt say that :confused:i said i was happy with the 5 minutes. perhaps it might help to have everything to hand before you log on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a bit annoying - 10 mins would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

EBS only give 3 minutes of inactivity before logging me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I'd be much more pissed off if it didn't automatically log me out after 5 minutes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Very happy with Permanent TSB and their online banking. I won't be sending any e-mail OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Ditto.......I also find it frustrating and i generally have things ready but when dealing over a number of accounts and transferring money. I also get pi........d off with this short log on time and do not have it with any other bank accuonts in Ireland or internationally........PTSB you need to change this

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

My German account gives me 12 minutes. My previous one gave 10. Both have a little countdown so you can see when you're about to be logged out and prevent it. The countdown is more useful than the longer delay tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I thought Davy Stocbrokers were bad with a 15 min. limit:).

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

I think the way the tsb are going that'll be the only service they'll offer soon.the wife was in there today and they offer very little service over the counter these days as they tell ya to use the machine.now they are going to shut the only till they use from 1pm.what good is it to people that can't get there by then.

Advertisement