Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java web application

Options
  • 14-11-2013 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Bit of a Java newbie here.

I've come from a mostly Microsoft technology background and my new employer mostly works with Java.

I'm wondering how to create a Java version of a website. Before in Visual studio i could just select the type of project I wanted, pick ASP.net and start messing around that way.

The thing is that I don't know how to do the same in the Java world. I don't have access to Visual studio so Eclipse/Springsource is what I'm limited to.

To start out I'd just like to create a basic page that has some data entry fields and a few buttons.

Do I use JSP for this or PHP? Something else? Java EE.

Sorry for the scattergun questions! As you can see I'm completely new to the Java and open source world.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

In .NET land it's quite common not to venture far from Microsoft provided web frameworks (Web forms and MVC). This is handy from a tooling point of view, as Visual Studio will have support and tooling specifically targeted at their frameworks and workflows.

In Java, the ecosystem is more varied, and it's common to use non-Oracle frameworks. This usually means if you want your IDE (e.g. Eclipse) to support your web framework, you'll need to look into plugins.

You can either download supporting plugins for the framework you wish to use, or manually configure the project by adding the dependencies (jar files) and setting up the appropriate project directory structure.

Look into the documentation and tooling for the framework you are using.

If you are using Spring, check out these links for example:
    Step-by-step tutorial: http://docs.spring.io/docs/Spring-MVC-step-by-step/
    Spring IDE: http://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/spring-ide#.UoTRNXB7J8E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Bit of a Java newbie here.

I've come from a mostly Microsoft technology background and my new employer mostly works with Java.

I'm wondering how to create a Java version of a website. Before in Visual studio i could just select the type of project I wanted, pick ASP.net and start messing around that way.

The thing is that I don't know how to do the same in the Java world. I don't have access to Visual studio so Eclipse/Springsource is what I'm limited to.

To start out I'd just like to create a basic page that has some data entry fields and a few buttons.

Do I use JSP for this or PHP? Something else? Java EE.

Sorry for the scattergun questions! As you can see I'm completely new to the Java and open source world.

Thanks

Download IntelliJ community edition http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/free_java_ide.html

Then learn about Maven and Spring using Appfuse http://appfuse.org/display/APF/Home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭kryptonmight

Another issue is that i have no idea what spring, struts and maven are and why or when they need to be used.

i think Visual Studio spoiled me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Another issue is that i have no idea what spring, struts and maven are and why or when they need to be used.

Spring is like MVC and Maven is like MSBuild.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Google is your friend here. Find out what parts of Spring you are using, there is a good chance if Struts is in places you are just using dependency injection from Spring.

Maven doesn't quite have a direct counterpoint in .NET that I know of.

• Advertisement
Advertisement