Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help regarding databases

Options
  • 14-11-2013 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi, I want to start learning a bit about databases. I have some Java, HTML and CSS experience and have just started to learn some SQL (when I say just started I mean I watched a few videos on Youtube last night).

I understand the basic concept of a database but as this stage I have no clue how you would call methods to retrieve the data from your database etc...

To give an example lets say that you have a small website and a database which stores the login details for all the registered members of your website and you wanted weekly analysis on the number of registered members who visited your website more than once in the week. How would you go about achieving this.

I know this is a very general question and there are more than likely a million ways to answer it but i'm just looking to build up an image around the use of databases.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

If it's an existing database, you would check the schema and see if the information you want can be derived from the database. To achieve the one you have listed, for instance, you'd want to know whether the logins are persisted in the database. If not, you'd either be out of luck or need to corroborate with another data source (logs, analytics, e.t.c).

This information would not be automatically stored in the database. The only things that are stored in the database are things you explicitly decide to store.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well, assuming you have all the info required, and you only wanted the number a members who logged in more than once in any given week. It'd be something like this...

SELECT
    COUNT(member_id) as Count_of_Members

FROM
    (
    SELECT
    member_id,
    COUNT(LoginDate) as Count_of_Login
    FROM
    LoginTable
    WHERE
    Login_Date >= @FromDate AND Login_Date < ToDate
    ) SubQ

WHERE
    SubQ.Count_of_Login > 1

So the above query would give you the number of members who logged in more than once within the date parameters you set. No doubt there's a better way, I'm not expert, but this is an example of how to do it.

MagicMarker, to me, that query looks like it wouldn't work, unless you changed the subquery to be a group by on member_id.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You are indeed correct.

SELECT
    COUNT(member_id) as Count_of_Members

FROM
    (
    SELECT
    member_id,
    COUNT(LoginDate) as Count_of_Login
    FROM
    LoginTable
    WHERE
    Login_Date >= @FromDate AND Login_Date < ToDate
    GROUP BY
    member_id
    ) SubQ

WHERE
    SubQ.Count_of_Login > 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Why the sub query? How about;

Select count(LoginDate)
    From LoginTable
    Where
    Count(logindate) > 1

• Advertisement

Why the sub query? How about;

Select count(LoginDate)
    From LoginTable
    Where
    Count(logindate) > 1

That would give you the total number of logins, as long as there has been more than one login.

That doesn't really apply to the OPs question.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Maybe something along the lines of:
    SELECT user, COUNT(*) 
    FROM logins 
    GROUP BY user 
    HAVING COUNT(*) > 1;

It's hard to know exactly how to do it without knowing the database schema.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Stiochkov

Databases is an incredibly dense subject. Even for a basic website, you need to have an understanding of schemas, tables, primary keys, foreign keys, associations, relationships and integrity. That is only the tip of the iceberg from a conceptual standpoint.

When you have an understanding of those topics, you then need to learn to practically apply that knowledge using a query language like MySQL (like described in the above posts). SQL also requires knowledge of a server side language that you can embed your SQL commands in (Ruby, PHP).

A reputable book is a good place to start, as well as video courses like those available at Lynda.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Media999

db4free.net for a start. Really handy resource.

Then just mess around with java JDBC or PHP and it will eventually click.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

A website and a database.

Likely the most common option is a PHP website and a MySQL database.

Both are free to use software; likely the most widely and cheaply supported technologies by website hosting companies and are one of the easiest to set-up on a home pc.

Windows, Linux, Mac OS X.

MySQL is your DBMS, DatabaseManagementSystem. This software allows you to create, query and otherwsie manage multiple databases. Free software is available to allow you to create, query and otherwise use and manage databases.

You will have the option to do this using sql statements and variants of sql or using a graphical user interfaces. A DBMS can offer the option of running queries based on certain events, such as a certain date every week.

To intergrate a database with a website, PHP will allow you to both create webpages and allow you to create SQL queries which you can use to create, query etc. your databases.

W3Schools website tutorials will have you up and running with PHP and MySQL in no time. You could use PHP to trigger a weekly event to query a db and create a report from the query result, then email it, store it as a file etc.

You can of course try other combinations, such as Java / JSP and MySQL, PHP and PostgreSQL etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement