Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muslims in Ireland

Options
  • 14-11-2013 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm a mature student studying photography at night in Griffith College. One of my projects is to do a photo essay. I had the idea of doing a photo essay on the intersection of Irish culture and Islam.

I'm wondering if you there would be any Irish Muslim's here interested in helping me? I have the idea of meeting an Irish Muslim and photographing how an Irish Muslim lives.

I also had the idea of a muslim family living in Ireland and how they mix their religion with the Irish culture.

I am happy to have a meeting with you, show you some of my work and hopefully you would trust me to do a nice portrait of your family and life.

Thanks,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dragonslayer26

See you had no takers ....refusal to intergrate.....look at the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

See you had no takers ....refusal to intergrate.....look at the UK
    Well that was random. And weird

well the poor chap posted it in 2009 and nothing ...............

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

well the poor chap posted it in 2009 and nothing ...............

2009 is when he joined, he posted that request on 14-11-2013.
    Its possible he got private messages and we just don't know about it. Its also possible that he met muslims in the real world, maybe through a mosque, and got sorted out there. This is a pretty quiet forum.

Well in my experience, Islam is a pretty shut off Religion...I would say that would be hard task to achieve. i know in the UK/France/Belgium etc there seems to be real issues with integration to the local indigenous culture and ways this cant be good and will only polarise communities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, I'll bite.
    Well in my experience

So, what is your experience? How many Muslims do you know or have you met?

Have you ever been to a mosque?
    Islam is a pretty shut off Religion

That's quite a bizarre statement. So, what exactly do you mean by a "shut off Religion"?

Quit a bit to be honest shut off meaning like you know if you are not in the club . my first experience was when i was a young man in the 80,s i ended up in Saudi Arabia in jeddah and we tried to go see mecca but was not allowed too. i found that strange ( i was not a muslim ) hence not in the club i also did a 15 month tour in Iraq so yea i meet lots segregation of men and women in prayer that a cracker eh ......what else would you like me say

what do you know about Islam ...be interesting to hear your experiences

Quit a bit to be honest

So, tell us then.
    i also did a 15 month tour in Iraq

Were you in the US military? Was it in the last 10 years? If so, can you honestly say that was a normal experience? As in, can you say that living in a war-torn, occupied country is good barometer of a culture or religion?
    what do you know about Islam ...be interesting to hear your experiences

I have been living and working in a Muslim country for the past 5 years. So while I am far from an expert, I believe I have a more balanced view of Islam than the average Joe.

Or really well enlighten me then ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I want to hear what you think because i think very little of anything that has come from the middle east there are values that are normal in Islam that we would find ourselves being put into jail for here, and all under the guise of a religion ..I just hope people in Ireland will have the where with all to keep Islam its its place after all we have just gotten over the horrors of another middle eastern religion that has being allowed run amock here unchecked

• Advertisement

Or really well enlighten me then ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I want to hear what you think because i think very little of anything that has come from the middle east there are values that are normal in Islam that we would find ourselves being put into jail for here, and all under the guise of a religion ..I just hope people in Ireland will have the where with all to keep Islam its its place after all we have just gotten over the horrors of another middle eastern religion that has being allowed run amock here unchecked

Ok, and I think we are done here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement