Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike fishing -tips/catches/everything pike

Options
  • 13-11-2013 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

think this warrants its own thread. discussion on anything pike related.

discuss tips, waters your fishing , what rigs your using, whats your PB, etc

Also a helpful place to post pike related questions !

candidate for a sticky !!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

No harm to post some of the basics.
    The PAC (Pike Anglers Club) of GB is a fantastic organisation and provides some very useful fact sheets on their website:

Tackle and Rigs
    Pike Fishing Fundamentals
    Trace and Rig Basics
    Lure Fishing Basics
    Safe Pike Rigs

Pike Care
    Handling Pike
    Coping with Gassed Up Pike
    Coping with Deep Hooked Pike
    Summer Piking

Boat Fishing
    Pike Handling in Boats
    Tips for Boat Owners

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭vibes23

Nice 1 PJ.

Some good vids on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/user/TAFishing

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wrXfQiaC2I

good tips for all levels

My personal best is 11.5lb caught in Mullagh about 10yrs ago. Was my first pike. Havnt got anything close since but aint from lack of trying ! :eek:

Deadbait mostly but startin to use float more. Sink and draw, also im finding propping up baits, so there not lyin flat on bottom is workin well for me. Use anything that floats and put in your bait or try syringe and inject air under skin.1

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

Got some great info from the Guys here on Boards

and some Info Here

http://www.fishinginireland.info/pike/east.htm

and dont forget the Tea lol:P

And the Jaffa cakes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

vibes23 wrote: »
    And the Jaffa cakes :D

And depending on if its the weekend the paracetamol for the oul hangover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

And the bye laws in case some people don't know them

http://www.fishinginireland.info/pike/pconserve.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Anybody actually catching any? Was out this week and last to Monaghan lakes but water really too high. Nothing was happening at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Rho b

Was in Longford/Cavan last weekend but wasn't fishing myself. Met a couple of Belgian lads on holiday that had some success over the week mostly trawling. Most were jacks but they said they landed a nice lady of about 17lbs.
    As you said an awful lot of fresh water about and levels are high.

Was out today for about 5 hours very mild few nibbles nothing major was speaking to 2 lads were out last week one said they had been out 3 days in row 6 to 5 hours a day and caught trout on the dead bait that was it :eek:

• Advertisement

was out last week fishin competition in cavan about 8-10 fishing i think there was 6 pike caught biggest 4.5lb.

i was out weekend before that again 6 lads fishin nothin caught. seems that any waters that are easily accessable have been lashed out if it.

plus this weather is messed up. 1min warm next bleedin freezin. both wkends i was out i noticed serious movement of roach etc so id be thinkin the pike hav plenty to be eating.

i headin out next wkend i plan to do alot of spinnin. hope fully nab sumthing

was out last week fishin competition in cavan about 8-10 fishing i think there was 6 pike caught biggest 4.5lb.

i was out weekend before that again 6 lads fishin nothin caught. seems that any waters that are easily accessable have been lashed out if it.

plus this weather is messed up. 1min warm next bleedin freezin. both wkends i was out i noticed serious movement of roach etc so id be thinkin the pike hav plenty to be eating.

i headin out next wkend i plan to do alot of spinnin. hope fully nab sumthing

just off phone this second wit 1 of the lads i fish with. he was tellin me were i caught 4.5lb last week there was a 16lb caught yestday in exact same spot on a roach so disregard my last post ha

get the dead bait goin!

theyre not easilt caught thats for sure. so post here whats working for ye if your out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Lot of people expecting a few good days for piking before the cold spell hits next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jkchambers

Irish Federation of Pike Angling Clubs hold their annual Inter Club Team Challenge in the Cavan/Monaghan area tomorrow. Fishing 2 rivers. There will be 100 plus anglers attending so will be interesting to see whats caught.

Pj! wrote: »
    Lot of people expecting a few good days for piking before the cold spell hits next week.

ive had better luck wit bita frost on ground ragin im not out today. il spend my day makin rigs up for nxt week end!

Advertisement