Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What animal charities are worthy ?

Options
  • 13-11-2013 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could guide me. I want to give some money to animal welfare but I fear that some charities are better than others with regard to how money is used. Could anyone recommend a decent animal charity where as much as possible of the donation actually goes to animal welfare ? Are the ISPCA good in this respect or would I be better off looking at local animal rescue centres ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Honestly, the ISPCA in this country get alot of grants and have a lot of paid staff to drum up money on their behalf. Personally I don't think they use their money as effectively as they could. Also many of the pounds in this country are ISPCA run and they have significantly higher PTS rates than their privately run counterparts, go figure!

There are some seriously excellent rescues out there run voluntarily where everything they get goes to the animals. Put your money away for the moment and get involved. It's the only way you will really be assured that when you do donate it'll go to somewhere you know it will be used correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 BolaGaming

The DSPCA I personally believe is a great one :)

But as Toulouse said, "get involved" It's a much greater feeling then just donating money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭hotbabe1992

Dont turn away from animal charities,because you heard a few stories search around for worthy causes,maybe volunteering at an animal shelter is the best way to find out what they are really like and you can see where the money is going,and then make up your mind on the situation.

I donate to this crowd in clare: They are honest and give all they can to the animals,the focus is the animals..http://www.scarclare.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

What area are you in or what particular animals are you keen to support, OP? Abandoned dogs or cats; wildlife; equines? I've seen a lot of sound advice on these pages. My main animal charity of choice this year has been Kildare Animal Foundation Wildlife Unit but you may have other priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

BolaGaming wrote: »
    The DSPCA I personally believe is a great one :)

Maybe, but it's worth pointing out that they are not a no-kill shelter and have been criticised before for being far too hasty with the needle. Plus, they have an enormous amount of donations and grants already.

OP, it's always nice to support your local shelters- they usually struggle quite a lot to make ends meet and even an extra fiver makes a huge difference.

Where are you based? Maybe someone can recommend somewhere near they've had personal experience with. Are you a dog / cat / horse / reptile (etc) person?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

What you could do is rather than handing any charity over a sum of money, just spend the money on animal food or beds or whatever and donate that to the charity instead. It will be just as appreciated and you will be sure that it will used for the purpose intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

www.adoptapet.ie/rescues/fairyglenanimalrescue

This ones a good one, they always need lots of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I would always make sure that any place I donate to has a CHY number too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

Last Hope are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lajoie

I have endless respect and support for Dogs Aid.
    The animals (dogs and cats) are vetted, neutered/spayed and microchipped and those that are too old or "bold" to be rehomed are kept as permanent residents. There was even a little building full of cosy cushions and blankets for dogs that are deaf/blind when I was there last summer! Plus the woman who runs it is incredible. There's no rubbish or sob stories - she tells it as it is and doesn't try to rehome an animal just for the sake of it. They ensure that the animal and prospective owner are a good fit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement