Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions Relating to Economics and Applied Maths

Options
  • 13-11-2013 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

Applied Maths:
    In our school, we have restricted class time for the Applied Maths course (better than no class at all) so we are only doing 6 questions instead of the 10 on the course.
    Alas, you only need to do 6 but will we be hampered heavily because of this, or will it be almost just as doable to achieve the A1?

Economics:
    I've been looking over past exam papers and I realise that a lot of questions pop up that aren't in any Economics text-book. Is there any particular way to prepare for these or does it just require you to use your head on the day?
    And while we're at it, is there any tips for what questions are the most reliable to prepare for the paper?

Thank you.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

I think our plan for Applied Maths is to do 8 (might be 7, can't remember), as we're also restricted (80 minutes a week). Teacher seems to think it's fine. I'd imagine doing 6 in depth is much better than skimming 10.

My suggestion would be to teach yourself 1 or 2 of the other questions as fallback. You don't have time in class, but surely you can work through them at home and ask your teacher to correct them/explain things you're really stuck on (even if it has to be outside class time).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I am very tempted to teach myself one question.

Do you have any suggestions. I will have completed the following, in depth, in school:

Qs. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Ompala

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I am very tempted to teach myself one question.

Do you have any suggestions. I will have completed the following, in depth, in school:

Qs. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10.

I have said it before on this, Q9 (Hydro statics) has been much easier than many of the more traditional topics students do on the paper. Would highly recommend it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

I was about to say the same. Love hydrostatics.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Ompala

yoho139 wrote: »
    I was about to say the same. Love hydrostatics.
    Its only unpopular because of lack of teachers covering it. Nothing to do with difficulty.
    If you end up taking any fluid modules in college it gives you a nice starting point (in my experience)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 LHCFan

I'm doing Applied Maths for the leaving cert this year. My teacher explained that there will always be one question on the exam paper every year that will be 'challenging'. (code for absolutely impossible) Apparently this is a device used by those who set the paper to separate the 'gold medalists'. Therefore, it would be advisable to do more than 6 topics, as this 'challenging' question may very well appear in one of your chosen 6. It's always good to have a back-up. It is important to note however, that usually getting all of this 'challenging' question right may only account for 5 or 10 marks and that the majority of the marks are generally awarded to understanding the basic structure of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Economics:
    I've been looking over past exam papers and I realise that a lot of questions pop up that aren't in any Economics text-book. Is there any particular way to prepare for these or does it just require you to use your head on the day?
    And while we're at it, is there any tips for what questions are the most reliable to prepare for the paper?

What text book are you using? the Positive Economics book covers exam papers and has the update syllabus.

I did economics last year and they are moving towards eliminating rote learning and testing your understanding of economics in general life. So I'd prepare by doing past exam papers and listening to current affairs on the news, Irish Times etc..

Advertisement