Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracert First and Second hops very slow

Options
  • 13-11-2013 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys - can you help me debug a problem.

My first hop and second hops are very slow over wireless. Modern brand new N class wifi.

It takes up to five seconds for the wifi to get an external IP address.

I get

1 4ms 4ms 16ms *5 second pause* 10.0.0.1
    2 11ms 11ms 11ms *4-5 second pause* IP address pops up
    Hops 3 etc are normal...

What's going on here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's just timing out trying (unsuccesfully) to do a reverse DNS lookup on those addresses. Do tracert -d instead and it'll zip along.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Alun wrote: »
    It's just timing out trying (unsuccesfully) to do a reverse DNS lookup on those addresses. Do tracert -d instead and it'll zip along.

Ah. It did indeed.
    Could that reverse DNS lookup be causing timeouts on my connection. I'm trying to troubleshoot upsteam packet loss.

Not really. In almost all cases the first one will fail, unless you either have an entry in your HOSTS file for your router's LAN interface, or if your router is proxying DNS for you and also replies to reverse DNS lookups for itself. As far as the second and subsequent hops go it's (unfortunately) not uncommon for ISP's to not have reverse DNS entries for all their clients, gateways and router addresses which doesn't usually cause problems.

Thanks.

I'm tracing an uplink only packet loss issue that causes my voice to drop out (can still hear fine) for approx 10 seconds every ten minutes or so.

My VOIP provider sees between 4% and 17% packet loss, my ISP says everything is fine. We have tested all the way back to the bare tap, but they are crap at owning the problem. Frustrating.

Is this noticeable when continuously pinging (ping -t) the host as well?

Also is this wireless or wired? If wireless it could be periodic re-authentication if you're using WPA(2)-PSK. Try (temporarily!!) either removing security altogether or setting it to WEP and see if that stops it. If that helps go back to WPA(2)-PSK and try looking in your router's configuration and see if you can change the re-authentication period to something very high or even 0 to disable it.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Is this noticeable when continuously pinging (ping -t) the host as well?

Also is this wireless or wired? If wireless it could be periodic re-authentication if you're using WPA(2)-PSK. Try (temporarily!!) either removing security altogether or setting it to WEP and see if that stops it. If that helps go back to WPA(2)-PSK and try looking in your router's configuration and see if you can change the re-authentication period to something very high or even 0 to disable it.

Yes.

Continuous pings give timeouts.

I am on WPA(2)-PSK but in a rural-ish area so WEP is an option..

OK turned off all security (I know) but I'm very rural really...

Still getting 1% - 2% packet loss.

Back to my ISP I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

You need to test wired before you point the finger at the ISP. There are too many variables when connecting over WiFi.

You need to test wired before you point the finger at the ISP. There are too many variables when connecting over WiFi.

My voip box IS wired.

Advertisement