Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CompTIA A+ (and beyond)

Options
  • 13-11-2013 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

Looking at this forum I can already gauge that this FAS course has come up before. Essentially having found myself at a loss career wise I have winded up in a course that covers CompTIA A+, MTA Windows Server Admin Fundamentals, and then the A + 220-802/801. It has not taken me long to figure out that this essentially translates into something like 'slightly better than basic skills with computers.' This is fine for the moment and I expect these qualifications will not stand me too strongly (I take it that what follows next may change that). However, I am wondering whether people had any books recommendations that might lead me into this world more generally, networking and the likes. I figure if the base line material is not so interesting I could try look ahead into the field and see what tends to follow. Also any general advice would be excellent. So far I've stumbled upon this book series...the way to go? http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Network-Study-Authorized-Courseware/dp/1118137558/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y#reader_1118137558

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

scopper wrote: »
    Looking at this forum I can already gauge that this FAS course has come up before. Essentially having found myself at a loss career wise I have winded up in a course that covers CompTIA A+, MTA Windows Server Admin Fundamentals, and then the A + 220-802/801. It has not taken me long to figure out that this essentially translates into something like 'slightly better than basic skills with computers.' This is fine for the moment and I expect these qualifications will not stand me too strongly (I take it that what follows next may change that). However, I am wondering whether people had any books recommendations that might lead me into this world more generally, networking and the likes. I figure if the base line material is not so interesting I could try look ahead into the field and see what tends to follow. Also any general advice would be excellent. So far I've stumbled upon this book series...the way to go? http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Network-Study-Authorized-Courseware/dp/1118137558/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y#reader_1118137558

Yeah A+ would be considered something of a basic/foundation cert in the larger context of thing but it's certainly no ECDL and I wouldn't be so dismissive about it. I had always considered my IT knowledge to be above that of the average user but I still picked up quite a lot from the A+.

From the above post I gather you're looking ahead to what you might do after the A+ and the MTA? Is Networking the path you want to go down? Are there any other areas you're considering? Re material for N+, I just sent you a PM there but you might just let us know a bit about your background and goals so you can get a better answer here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Thanks, just responded to the PM.

For the forum I am hoping to eventually end up in security or privacy as ideals, but I am open-minded about the realities of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

I'd suggest maybe having a look at Security + in that case. I haven't done that particular cert myself but from what I know of it, it is recommended that you have N+ completed before you attempt this one.

I really can't answer any more specific questions about getting into the area you want to get into - perhaps someone else can shed a bit more light on it for you.

Advertisement