Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home networking setup

Options
  • 13-11-2013 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just bought our first home and trying to get things sorted. Would appreciate a bit of advice.

Basically, the phone line (which will be upgraded to fibre tomorrow by vodafone - yeah!) terminates in the hallway with one power socket beside it. In the living room some 5 metres away is where the tv sits. Here there is a PS3, a media pc, a smart tv and a freesat box. All of which I would ideally like to have a wired connection.

There will also be one desktop computer at a yet to be defined place in house.

So, I have a number of solutions in mind. Would love advice from you folks:

1) Keep vodafone modem in hallway and put it in bridge mode. Use powerline adaptor to connect to point in the living room behind the tv. Put another router there and connect devices to that.

Pros: plenty of hard wired connections for all the devices there
    Cons: I've heard the vodafone fibre modems can be a pain to get into bridging mode
    What about the desktop?

2) Move the phone line into the sitting room.
    Pros: able to use original vodafone unit.
    Pros: able to use powerline connection to desktop computer at other position
    Cons: Not sure what's involved, pulling at plaster and ceiling or ugly trunking.

Any other solutions/advice?

CHeers,
    Quad

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Homeplug adapters should suit. Sends network data over electrical circuit in house. One near phone. One where you need your network. Maybe a little network hub to connect other devices.

Advertisement