Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plebiscite on Junior Cert?

Options
  • 13-11-2013 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭

I believe that a plebiscite should be held on the abolition of the Junior Cert, a simple question yes or no, with the result being mandatory on the Government.

My own view is that the Junior Certificate should stay as there is a real danger of standards dropping and this would be very detrimental in the case of the three "R"s ie Reading, Writing and Arithmetic in particular.

Of course reform the exam and the syllabus, but do not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

The people should decide if these series of exams should stay or be altered in any form. However, I don't think a lot of people are informed, and a lack of information can be a danger on a wider scale. If you look at it in one perspective, the exams are beneficial as they help prepare juniors for the real "big boy" exam in 6th year. If you look at it in an another perspective, with all these subject syllabi changes and poor preparation and lack of information leading to confusion among teachers (I have experienced that, *cough* Project Maths.), is the junior cert being taken seriously by the SEC? I don't know, just my speculation, and if I had my way, I'll keep the junior cert.

Just a note, if they corrected the junior cert properly (they probably do but some examiners might be dodgy(?)) I would of got a C on my English through the first series of corrections, but I got a D. I repealed the paper and got a C, by REPEALING! *rolleyes*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Different examiners have different interpretations.

All humans behave differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The people should decide if these series of exams should stay or be altered in any form. However, I don't think a lot of people are informed

I venture to say that there would be a very small turnout for the plebiscite as only people who are really interested would vote.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Most people are idiots who listen to "items of outrage" on the radio, and aren't arsed looking at primary sources like 80 page reports from government agencies, people who are highly susceptible to mob mentality.

So no.

Advertisement