Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cork to work in Airport Business Park but with no car!

Options
  • 13-11-2013 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, Just looking for some advice please. I'm from Galway so completely clueless about Cork but I was delighted to be recently offered a job out in Airport Business Park which I'll be starting in December working 8-4.30, I'm just hoping someone could advise me please what areas of the city/suburbs would be best to live so that I could commute to the Business Park by bus or by foot as I don't currently have a car or a bike and unfortunately won't be able to afford one for a while!

I know that a bus service runs from the bus station but does it stop anywhere else en route to the airport that I could maybe pick it up if I was to live in the suburbs?

Some friends mentioned Douglas was a lovely area and there appears to be a lot of nice accommodation there but when I looked at the journey planner it would seem I would have to get a bus into town and a bus out to the airport so it wouldn't be the most practical.

Another thread I read recommended Grange but apparently it would be at least a 5km walk down a dark road which could be difficult in winter.

Is the city centre basically my best option? And is the commute to the business park difficult?

Thanks in advance for any responses :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Turner's Cross and Ballyphehane would be on the airport bus route. Maybe not as nice as Douglas, but there are nice houses around and it's close to the city centre as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Would it be possible to stay in one of the hotels at the Airport for the first few days.Then on your first day in the job,put word out or put up a notice for anyone looking for a lodger/houseshare that would be working with you.

Direct spin to and from your door.Cant go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Would it be possible to stay in one of the hotels at the Airport for the first few days.Then on your first day in the job,put word out or put up a notice for anyone looking for a lodger/houseshare that would be working with you.

Direct spin to and from your door.Cant go wrong.
    Used to with up there, if you have showers in work it's not too bad a cycle up Forge Hill from most places in the city. Lots of people carpooled, there's an app that's reasonably popular, if anybody can remember the name...

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

Well I've been living off Evergreen road in Turners Cross since April (moved from Galway too) and I haven't had a problem at all. Got a lovely house for reasonable rent and its only a ten minute walk into the city centre, its relatively safe (i.e. safe enough to walk alone til nine or ten without being freaked out- it kinda reminds me of the forster st area in Galway, quiet at night but not eerily so). The Aldi down the road is just the icing on the cake :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jessbel

Thanks for all the great advice, it was really helpful I'm actually looking at somewhere near Evergreen road on Thursday so hopefully it will work out and there'll be good times ahead in Cork! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

Good luck! I hope its a nice one!

Advertisement