Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pompei restaurant

Options
  • 12-11-2013 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hey does anyone know if this is still open, drove past today and its closed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Tried to go there a weekend or so ago and it was closed. Looks to be permanently closed, weird because I was in it the weekend before and all seemed ok, nice place..shame to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

Im sorry to hear that. Really enjoyed the place anytime i was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭spcw

That and Italian connection and the Golden Grill all gone in one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

It is a bad sign when ya see proper restaurants closing down and people going ape **** at burgerking coming. While i will enjoy a flame grilled whoppper i dont want it at the expensive of these places

I'm missing everything lately. Didn't know thw other places closed down down or that burger king was coming. Must be a sign I'm spending too much time in Waterford.

• Advertisement

Burger King isn't coming, oldest rumour ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

the service was crap in pompei and the food bad. no loss

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

patrickc wrote: »

my experience of the place was very different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The Italian Connection is gone? What a shame. When I lived in Carlow I loved going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Anyone know what happened to the Golden Grill? Only refurbished the place less than 12 months ago, so surprised to see them gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

refurb i don't think so,***no loss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I liked Pompeii.

Didn't get to eat there as often as I'd have liked. It'll be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Pompeii is gone because mario wasnt able to pay the bills unfortunatly. People wanted him to stay open till after the bank holiday but since he had made the decision there wasnt much point in prolonging the inevitable. A few of the staff have already gotten new jobs.

Italian connection was in trouble for awhile now. It was leased out a number of years ago but then carlo and berna took it over again and tried running it again while it was for sale but to no avail. They have quite a few restaurants around the country so it is a shame rhey couldnt make it work.

Rumour has it that the revenue went into golden grill and either shut it down or the owner the closed up because of it.

Golden grill I havent been to in years but used to either go to or get something from pompeii on a weekly basis minimum. Ventured to italian connection ever now and again.

It is strange carlow not having an italian restaurant now. Ther used to be quite few of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Zeppi

patrickc wrote: »

This wasn't my experience, it was one of the few restaurants with great service and excellent food.

For me and my family it's a big loss. We wish Mario the owner the best of luck.

Zeppi

Zeppi wrote: »
    This wasn't my experience, it was one of the few restaurants with great service and excellent food.

For me and my family it's a big loss. We wish Mario the owner the best of luck.

Zeppi

I usually give places two chances, but my veal was over done so much it was hard to cut it, there was supposed to be a selection of potatoes available, and there wasn't, not good enough when one goes out very infrequently at that to spend their hard earned money. The staff didn't seem to care when I informed them.

Not having a decent Italian restaurant in Carlow is pretty disappointing.

Morf wrote: »
    Not having a decent Italian restaurant in Carlow is pretty disappointing.

I don't believe there's any whatsoever now is there? Or is there one that you just don't consider decent :o

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Doriath

The Avenue restrant recently opened up opposite super quinn.. havent eatten in there yet but seems nice and busy if abit small...

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Doriath wrote: »
    The Avenue restrant recently opened up opposite super quinn.. havent eatten in there yet but seems nice and busy if abit small...

It is very nice but its not an italian

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Are there any Italian restaurants still open in Carlow town?

Pompeii is gone and Italian Connection appears to have shutdown again ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Hi yes Formenti on Dublin St. Have had dinner there it was v nice and v relaxed. I've no connection.

verywell wrote: »
    Hi yes Formenti on Dublin St. Have had dinner there it was v nice and v relaxed. I've no connection.

I like Formenti a lot, but its not an Italian restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

Anyone know if Mario has opened his new restaurant yet?I believe it's to be on Tullow street.

Anyone know if Mario has opened his new restaurant yet?I believe it's to be on Tullow street.

Yep its there beside Tullys. Very nice. Not a big a menu but he is only starting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Go there for lunch maybe twice a week. Linguine carbonara is nice! Always comes out for a chat too which is nice to see

Dboy85 wrote: »
    Go there for lunch maybe twice a week. Linguine carbonara is nice! Always comes out for a chat too which is nice to see

I was there last week.

It was fine but I'll give it a while more to iron out a few issues before casting judgement on it.

The owner is very friendly alright. It's a nice touch by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I had lunch there with a couple of people earlier this week

They have a lunch menu which they automatically give you - no option to get the other menu

Staff were friendly, but the service was very very slow even though the place was very quiet

Advertisement