Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malware/virus urgent help needed!

Options
  • 12-11-2013 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Basically I did something extremely stupid, I downloaded a film & it wouldn't play so a pop up came up saying windows media player needed a div x update which I allowed...now there seems to be a number of things that just keep installing when I'm online, I tried to uninstall a good few of them, think the first one was computer solutions, now I've got registry helper that scans the computer and tells me I've issues with my registry, I've not allowed it to 'repair' anything and I've another thing called driver genius on ly,desktop. When I look for the source of both these files they are in a my harddrive in a place called programme files 86 which seems to be a duplicate of my regular programme files. I've downloaded malwarebytes and it found 50+ issues that I've had it correct & then had to reset but the programmed are still on my desktop and I've no idea what to do about programme files 86.

Thanks a million,

Marcus Antonius

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

program files(x86) is where your 32 bit apps go.
    the other program files are your 64 bit apps.

try to export and post the malware bytes log.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

CrinkElite wrote: »
    program files(x86) is where your 32 bit apps.
    the other program files are your 64 bit apps.

Lol cheers, my bad, not used to windows 8 and not exactly tech savy at the best of times! I will still need help removing the other programs as the only options I can see to remove them is to let the uninstall programme have access through my firewall and it is an unknown publisher.

the un-installer should not need access to the net.
    it will need permission so you'll need to press ok when you get the grey screen from the uac.

there's no way a windows 8 system is going to benefit from driver helpers or registry cleaners.

don't install that crap.

CrinkElite wrote: »
    the un-installer should not need access to the net.
    it will need permission so you'll need to press ok when you get the grey screen from the uac.

there's no way a windows 8 system is going to benefit from driver helpers or registry cleaners.

don't install that crap.

I didn't it extracted and installed itself. OK I'll let it have permission there. I've attached the files to this reply also

Thanks a mill

Good stuff Marcus, It looks like you had some crapware on there but it seems to be clear now.

It would most likely have gotten in using confusing/misleading download links that socially engineered you into installing them.
    (everyone has been caught out by this at one time or another)

In any case, if your machine is running ok you can be fairly happy that Malware Bytes has done it's job.

It could have been a lot worse.

There is some really nasty ransom-ware doing the rounds at the moment that is completely irreversible/un-fixable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

wouldnt hurt to run this since there was a lot of crapware on there

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Thanks guys for the help, seems to be all clear now.

Marcus Antonius

Advertisement