Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple/cheap music recording setup

Options
  • 12-11-2013 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all,

Im new to this forum, just wondering if anyone can help me out...

Im thinking of setting up a small recording setup for myseflt. I have never recorded before and I am looking for a cheap setup to get me started. I can then upgrade down the line if I need to...

I want to record from Guitar (elec and acoustic) / vocals onto some sort of laptop software.

So a couple of questions....

What equipment do I need? I think I may need a direct Box or some sort of convertor...

Does anyone recommend a decent recording package (free or cheap)?

If you can post links to any equipment / software you recommend I would really appreciate it...

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭auti

Hi,

I presume you already have a computer and it is sufficiently powerful to run a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and record audio.

To record guitar and vocal (and most other things really) you will need an audio interface to connect to your computer via USB, Firewire 400/800 or Thunderbolt, a large diaphram condenser microphone and a DAW.

You will find literally hundreds of versions of each of these things on line but if you'd like to be pointed in the direction of something half decent then you can't go too far wrong with the following:

Audio Interface:
    M Audio M Track this USB interface is very well reviewed and although I haven't used one personally, I owned an M Audio Firewire Solo for about 6 years and it gave no trouble whatsoever. It has connections for two inputs (either microphone or guitar) and also has phantom power - essential for using a condenser microphone. It also has MIDI in/out which you might find useful

This interface also comes with a copy of Ableton Live Lite 8 so that's your DAW sorted too :-)

Microphone:
    I highly recommend the Audio Technica AT2020 I have one and use it regularly for vocals and acoustic guitar. It's a brilliant budget condenser microphone and really you can't go wrong.

As I said there are hundreds of options here but the above are both good quality and will serve you well for years. You could also take a look on adverts for interfaces and microphones and you might pick up a good bargain.

You will also need a pop shield for recording vocals and a microphone stand.

The rest is down to you - your skill as a musician and as a recording engineer. Recording with a microphone is all about mic placement so experiment a lot with it. Don't just plonk the mic down and start strumming, keep listening and adjusting until you find a sound you like. You will also need to look into acoustic treatment for your room but a few strategically placed duvets will usually do the job. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JoeBox

Thanks for the info. I will look into ordering those items over the weekend.

Do u recommend any free software to get me started?
    auti wrote: »
    Hi,

I presume you already have a computer and it is sufficiently powerful to run a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and record audio.

To record guitar and vocal (and most other things really) you will need an audio interface to connect to your computer via USB, Firewire 400/800 or Thunderbolt, a large diaphram condenser microphone and a DAW.

You will find literally hundreds of versions of each of these things on line but if you'd like to be pointed in the direction of something half decent then you can't go too far wrong with the following:

Audio Interface:
    M Audio M Track this USB interface is very well reviewed and although I haven't used one personally, I owned an M Audio Firewire Solo for about 6 years and it gave no trouble whatsoever. It has connections for two inputs (either microphone or guitar) and also has phantom power - essential for using a condenser microphone. It also has MIDI in/out which you might find useful

This interface also comes with a copy of Ableton Live Lite 8 so that's your DAW sorted too :-)

Microphone:
    I highly recommend the Audio Technica AT2020 I have one and use it regularly for vocals and acoustic guitar. It's a brilliant budget condenser microphone and really you can't go wrong.

As I said there are hundreds of options here but the above are both good quality and will serve you well for years. You could also take a look on adverts for interfaces and microphones and you might pick up a good bargain.

You will also need a pop shield for recording vocals and a microphone stand.

The rest is down to you - your skill as a musician and as a recording engineer. Recording with a microphone is all about mic placement so experiment a lot with it. Don't just plonk the mic down and start strumming, keep listening and adjusting until you find a sound you like. You will also need to look into acoustic treatment for your room but a few strategically placed duvets will usually do the job. Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭auti

The M Audio M Track interface comes with a copy of Ableton Live Lite 8 software - this will do you nicely for starters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Hi,

Have a read of the Beginners Guide sticky from this forum and it will help give you an idea of what you might need.

And as said above keep your eye on Adverts.ie etc. for good bargains to help get you started

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Seany

Have a look at USB audio box from presonus. I picked up this a week ago and I have to admit, it is brilliant for a basic home studio set up. Xmusic in Dublin have them in stock and matched thomann price for me.

Package comes with usb audio interface, condenser mic, headphones and studio one artist software which I found very user friendly (I have previously been using mbox/protools and various standalone digital recorders over the years).

(I you are interested in upgrading to the full studio one professional package which contains other options plus a full mastering suite...its 50% off until December 2nd (Black Friday sale)

• Advertisement
Advertisement