Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My Last Cigarette (I Really Mean It This Time!)

• 12-11-2013 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭

Right, I've said so many times to a cigarette, "You are my last one". I've tried Zyban, Allen Carr, Champix, cold turkey, Nicorettes, hypnosis...I was off them a week with the E-Cigarette, now it's time to get back on the wagon.

No more 'Get to know you better' smoke breaks with co-workers.
    No more chilled-out cigarette with a pint in the smoking section with mates.
    No more relaxed cigarette with a beer and the Internet in my sitting-room.
    No more lovingly-puffed smoke on the way back from lunch break.

Cigarettes, I've given you twenty-two years of my life. You've been good to me, and I've been generous to Big Tobacco™.

To quote Robert Graves, "Goodbye to all that".

Any support you can give me would be appreciated :)

Here goes...my final cigarette. And I mean it this time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 copea2

First of all Well Done - everyone says making the decision to quit is one of the hardest parts of it all.

I quit about 3 1/2 weeks ago and really the first few days are the hardest - once you get past them its not as bad. I started walking, and found getting out of the house for 30 minutes in the evenings really helps.

The first week all I thought about was smoking and what I was going to miss by not smoking e.g. never enjoying my morning tea again, never being able to enjoy a drink again, never feeling like I'd completely finished a meal etc - reading all the posts on here really helped put it into perspective and remind me that Im still going to enjoy those things - probably more now :) So when your feeling like you want a smoke read some of the posts on here - might help.

Best of luck Markesmith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Thanks copea. Doing well so far, using the e-cig so it's not like I'm kicking nicotine or anything like that. Still, any cigarettes not smoked are a bonus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I was so relieved to quit. No more of my life being controlled by needing to smoke all the time. It's so stressful being a smoker, I hadn't realised until I stopped.

It's lovely now being able to live and experience things in life without it being constantly dominated by the need to get away for a smoke.

I'm a much more relaxed person and I exercise way more, without almost passing out and coughing up a lung after 30 seconds.

Just think how nice freedom is. Much nicer than smoke slavery. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

markesmith wrote: »
    Thanks copea. Doing well so far, using the e-cig so it's not like I'm kicking nicotine or anything like that. Still, any cigarettes not smoked are a bonus!

There is still debate about just how addictive nicotine is, there are several other drugs in a cigarette that play a part in addiction.

You will have withdrawal symptoms even with the e-cig just not as bad usually. Make sure you have a fairly decent e-cig set-up, the difference between a cheap cig-alike from a petrol station and decent tank & liquid is like night and day.

There are some really good deals to be got from reputable Irish suppliers online and after dealing with them myself, you could not ask for better service.

The best of luck with quitting and read tons about it, Alan Carrs book will help.

Thanks guys. Second day almost done. Vaping like crazy though - still, it's better than smoking! Thanks for the support :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

dePeatrick wrote: »
    There is still debate about just how addictive nicotine is, there are several other drugs in a cigarette that play a part in addiction.

You will have withdrawal symptoms even with the e-cig just not as bad usually. Make sure you have a fairly decent e-cig set-up, the difference between a cheap cig-alike from a petrol station and decent tank & liquid is like night and day.

There are some really good deals to be got from reputable Irish suppliers online and after dealing with them myself, you could not ask for better service.

The best of luck with quitting and read tons about it, Alan Carrs book will help.

Nicotine is the addictive drug in Tobacco. Thats why ammonia is added to tobacco as it weakens the bonds of nicotine and helps it enter the bloodstream.

Something called Harmine in there too, and it seems that it is the release of dopamine that is the really addictive thing.....really don't know why I have gotten so interested in this now when I am off them 9 weeks :D

Well, still off them. I can actually go out for cigarette breaks with them at work, and surreptitiously drag on the e-cig. It's working for me so far. Friend's birthday tomorrow night though, few mates calling over, that'll be the test. Feeling confident! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Cycling Dumbasses

Well, still off them. I can actually go out for cigarette breaks with them at work, and surreptitiously drag on the e-cig. It's working for me so far. Friend's birthday tomorrow night though, few mates calling over, that'll be the test. Feeling confident! :)
    Dragging on the e-cig working for now, all the best for tomo night but i fear you will blow a turbo.

You will be fine, just keep the ecig with lots of liquid and the rest is a breeze :)

• Advertisement

Hey all, just a quick update. Still off the cigarettes, fourteen days later. Using the e-cig, and it's been so easy that I don't feel that much of a sense of achievement! Still, got the sense of smell and taste back, and it's been ridiculously easy.

Xmas party coming up at the weekend but I know I won't smoke. I've got them beaten - next step is to taper off the nicotine and the e-cigs.

Thanks for the support in the crucial first few days :)

Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭eimerom

Hey all, just a quick update. Still off the cigarettes, fourteen days later. Using the e-cig, and it's been so easy that I don't feel that much of a sense of achievement! Still, got the sense of smell and taste back, and it's been ridiculously easy.

Xmas party coming up at the weekend but I know I won't smoke. I've got them beaten - next step is to taper off the nicotine and the e-cigs.

Thanks for the support in the crucial first few days :)

Well done op, two weeks is great. Just be warned don't get too complacent, it's just when you feel completely free from them that the cravings come up to bite. Have quit so many times, 11 months this time so I really hope I am safe at this stage even though I still get the odd craving. My only saving grace is that I have had a baby a few months ago so have not been out, am dreading when I do as that is when all my good work has previously went out the window :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I found that e cigs were my favourite way too. I'd tried everything before. I'm off smokes since August and I haven't looked back. Yesterday, I walked past someone smoking outside a pub, I enjoyed the smell and had no temptation to smoke too. I can't say that about any of my previous experiments with cold turkey, nicorette etc. I'm now down to 6mg nicotine and I've bought some 0 mg juice to come off completely. Smoking used to be so important to me. Whenever I tried to stop, I got depressed and didn't know what to do with myself. All the fiddling with the e cigs replaced the hand-mouth thing.
    Keep it up and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 copea2

Well Done - I'd say you feel great being able to say your 14 days off them. Stick with it.

Im about 5 1/2 weeks now - still get cravings but only a couple a day now compared to what it was like at the start. Was great being able to tell everyone I was a month off them - the encouragement from other people was a nice surprise and really makes you want to stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Vision01

Entering 18th month and no cigarettes apart from the few I had left when given the e-cig. No desire to smoke though plenty of expected side effects. Bank balance is also showing the results of not smoking.

Health wise, no nasty mouth taste every morning, smell and taste increased, some side effects for about a week it was like having a cold runny nose, coughed like I was on 40 a day but that has now eased. For the first time ever I hate the smell of real cigarettes, every time I quit before if I caught the smell of one I enjoyed it now I understand how those who do not smoke feel when caught up in a ball of smoke.

Use e-cig rarely now, you never lose the urge, like the alcoholic I think it is a day by day thing.

The initial outlay was well worth it. Tried patches, gum, champix and none of them worked - that said I wanted and needed to stop for health reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Well done OP, I had once quit "successfully" for over 18months, dont ask why I am back, I rather say I already having enough of it again.

My best advice, or how it worked for me: quit the very last before going to bed and "survive" the first day. Then keep reminding yourself the following days, that one night has already passed, you are good. ;)

Hi all, well I went back on them at my office Xmas party. Complacency was indeed the case, as eimerom had counselled :rolleyes:

Greyfoot, I'm taking your advice on this. About to smoke my last cigarette now, and will just power through tomorrow without smoking. The e-cigarette will have to do. Wish me luck all, and I'll post soon with an update on it. The journal helped me a lot the last time.

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Advertisement