Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lenovo laptop choice

Options
  • 11-11-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

I am trying to decide on a new laptop after my last one has given up the ghost for the third time and I've had enough heartbreak with it!

I am interested in lenovo laptops as they are known as reliable machines and I can also get 15% off their website prices.

I have been looking at a g510 (i7 4700mq, 6GB ram,1TB + 8GB 5400rpm) for €699 (€595 with discount) but I'm worried that it's extremely thick (34mm) and heavy (over 2.6kg).

The website isn't the best. Some models are customisable and some are not, despite listing up to 16GB ram when there is only 4/8GB options etc..

Has anyone bought from lenovo recently and can recommend something? I'd be happy with something with a decent i5, 6GB ram, 500GB storage.

Usage will be productivity, some coding, movies, music, browsing and some occasional gaming.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

Lenovo are known to have wifi issues with plenty of machines, worth checking out if there's any issue with the models you're interested in and finding out the wireless card if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

bricky06 wrote: »
    I am trying to decide on a new laptop after my last one has given up the ghost for the third time and I've had enough heartbreak with it!

I am interested in lenovo laptops as they are known as reliable machines and I can also get 15% off their website prices.

I have been looking at a g510 (i7 4700mq, 6GB ram,1TB + 8GB 5400rpm) for €699 (€595 with discount) but I'm worried that it's extremely thick (34mm) and heavy (over 2.6kg).

The website isn't the best. Some models are customisable and some are not, despite listing up to 16GB ram when there is only 4/8GB options etc..

Has anyone bought from lenovo recently and can recommend something? I'd be happy with something with a decent i5, 6GB ram, 500GB storage.

Usage will be productivity, some coding, movies, music, browsing and some occasional gaming.

Thanks for any help in advance.

I got the Lenovo idea pad. I5. it Is quiet, fast and has not given up considering the bangs it has got.

Lenovo all the way. think pad is the best tho.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

I've decided to go for the lenovo s540 ultrabook instead, I can get it for €620. Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 npwinter

If you haven't already gone ahead and bought the s540 take a look at laptopsdirect.ie I bought a Lenovo Ideapad Z585 for €450 (delivery €15). It has an AMD A8 chip (apparently close in performance to an i5, quicker for gaming/graphics), 4gb RAM (its roughly €40 for an extra 4gb) and a 1Tb HDD. Pretty happy with it so far but still getting used to Win8 (not as bad as people say, but takes a lot of getting used to).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

That does sound like a nice machine. I might be naive in doing so but I'm going to stick with Intel processors.

I won't be ordering until payday ;) so end of the month really. The spec I'm going for has a haswell i5 and 8gb ram.

I might do one last round up of the websites to see if there's a decent 3rd gen i5 or i7 build going for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

just for anyone who might have been waiting on it, the lenovo G510 is back in stock on their site. currently both models and don't forget the student discount.

Advertisement