Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Damage Drama

Options
  • 11-11-2013 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hey guys!
    Long story short, boiling water, yes boiling water spilled onto my laptop ( Never use a laptop for a recipe again, I know stupid!!! :( ) anyway... he laptop is only brand new and its killing me to have to buy a new one... So when it happened the water spilled onto the keys and speakers area... some water went under the laptop but it was grabbed and hung upside down immediately ... we dried it with a towel, and there didn't actually seem to be much water get at it. We didn't have a clue what to do and in a panic kept trying to turn it on(now I know that was not good!) Anyway we searched google for the answers, and so we removed the battery and had the laptop lie upside down for over 24 hours now. I came back to check after a few hours and a light would come on the side which I assume is a good sign. Just a while ago I came home and said I'd chance it, so I put the charger in and the light went orange which meant charging.. so I put the battery in and tried turning it on, the first time and it conked straight away. Tried another time and the fan started :D but the screen didnt come on, so I tried a third time and it started up as if nothing happened!!! :D Is that the laptop just tricking me or do you think it will actually be ok? And should I leave it off for another while?
    thanks !! Sorry for such a long post! but Im clueless!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Leave it in the hotpress with a bowl of rice to dry it out fully, maybe give it another day?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Robynne

Ok so! Thank you! That's the thing I just don't know when is too soon to start using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Get 250ml of isopropyl alcohol from a chemist for about 3 euro, pour it into it and slosh it around a bit, then tip it onto its side and let it drain out, then do the rice thing. Take out the battery first, and if you have small screwdrivers, take off any covers/access panels.

Good luck!

Advertisement