Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CMS request

Options
  • 11-11-2013 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all,

I hope this has not been requested before but I am on the lookout for a good looking CMS type application. I am upgrading a pitch and putt website (currently pretty limited), I would like to design something nice and dynamic and would have no problem doing this (am out of the development game for a few years but would fancy my chances of getting something nice off the ground). I have looked around at a couple(WordPress and Joomla) but didn't really like them. It would be nice if some of the other members (not very tech minded) could add content (primarily text and images) easily through a web frontend.

If you have any ideas I'd appreciate if you could pass them on.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Talisman

Wordpress is probably the easiest to pick up. Bitnami have a set of installers which will setup a local environment for development purposes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If you could elaborate on what you didn't like about WordPress/Joomla, you might get some alternative more suited to your requirements.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Drupal, CMS Made Simple, MODX are also some other popular choices. I would prefer Joomla or wordpress but being honest it's because I have more experience with those. I have also used Drupal in the past and it is decent, whilst I've heard good things about MODX I've never actually used it

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Fussgangerzone

ruamar wrote: »
    It would be nice if some of the other members (not very tech minded) could add content (primarily text and images) easily through a web frontend.

Make sure you get something that has a good selection of user roles so. Wordpress, for example, has Admin, Editor and Contributor roles, so you can present members with a less bewildering interface.

Personally, there quite a few things I don't like about Wordpress myself, but if you're not sure what to use, and it's a site for a small club with little resources, I'd say it's the best bet for everyone.

If you use something too high-falutin it will just confuse people.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Make sure you get something that has a good selection of user roles so. Wordpress, for example, has Admin, Editor and Contributor roles, so you can present members with a less bewildering interface.

Personally, there quite a few things I don't like about Wordpress myself, but if you're not sure what to use, and it's a site for a small club with little resources, I'd say it's the best bet for everyone.

If you use something too high-falutin it will just confuse people.

Joomla and Drupal's ACL permissions are far more powerful than Wordpress if this would be a requirement. I'm not sure if Wordpress has plugins to bring this functionality, but with Joomla and Drupal you can grant permissions on a component basis "out of the box".

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement