Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Temporary Car Insurance Cover

Options
  • 11-11-2013 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I have a query with regard to temporary car insurance.
    I am currently working in the Uk and will be returning home at Christmas. I do not have an insurance policy at the moment as I drive a company car. I intend to borrow a car from a friend between the 20th of December and the 4th of January and I require temporary car insurance. The car is not insured at the moment.
    Does anybody know if it is possible to arrange short term car insurance?

The car will be a 13 plate 1.6 diesel, not sure of Make and Model yet.
    I am 25 years old. I have a full Irish driving license since December 06. I also have a 2 years no claims bonus from before I left Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't think any company offers temporary insurance over here. It's usually done on a 12 month basis and even if they did afaik you need to be a resident here to take out your own policy.

Might be easier to just rent a car while you car here and take out the rental insurance with it. The other alternative is to get someone else to take out a policy on the car and then get added as a named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dandoyler

Well I am a resident of Ireland, just working in UK.

Cost of a VW golf for that period from Hertz is nearly 1300GBP, so that wont be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Your friend that owns the car could add you to their policy temporarily or if they have open drive you might be covered (Third party only cover i think)

Edit: Just seen that car is not currently insured - Only thing you could do is to buy a policy and then cancel the policy when you are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

I'm pretty sure you can get temp car insurance in the UK. We used to do it all the time to cover customers on hire cars after they'd had an accident. Ring Swinton brokers, they should be able to point you in the right direction.
    I'm basing this on the assumption you have a UK address and it will be a UK registered car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

If the car isn't registered in your name you won't be able to insure it on a policy. And as other posters have said, no temporary policies available in Ireland.

• Advertisement

With the car not being insured currently by someone else who can add you a named driver to their policy then I cannot see how you will get temp insurance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You cant insure a car that you dont own. The best thing to do would be to get the owner to insure it and add you as a named driver. Pay monthly and then cancel the policy when youre done. Wont be cheap, but it should work out cheaper than €1300 (which seems very expensive for two weeks car hire...)

djimi wrote: »
    You cant insure a car that you dont own. The best thing to do would be to get the owner to insure it and add you as a named driver. Pay monthly and then cancel the policy when youre done. Wont be cheap, but it should work out cheaper than €1300 (which seems very expensive for two weeks car hire...)

Christmas time is the busiest time of they year for car rental companies, they can literally name their price.

Also paying insurance in installments and then cancelling the policy is not all that clear cut as it sounds. Insurance companies want a fair chunk of a deposit up front and cancelling the policy can show up on record when the owner goes to take out another policy at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

bazz26 wrote: »
    Christmas time is the busiest time of they year for car rental companies, they can literally name their price.

Also paying insurance in installments and then cancelling the policy is not all that clear cut as it sounds. Insurance companies want a fair chunk of a deposit up front and cancelling the policy can show up on record when the owner goes to take out another policy at a later date.

I checked with Enterprise and it seems that you can get a rental for those dates for €900. Not cheap, but certainly cheaper than £1300!

Taking out a new policy and then cancelling after a month should work out cheaper than renting. Even if the deposit was €250 and it cost another €200 for the first month then its a lot cheaper.

There should be no repercussions to cancelling a policy early. Only if an insurer cancels the policy would it be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dandoyler

I just got a pretty good quote from Dan Dooley Car rentals, much cheaper than the rest, has anybody used them before?
    Are they any good??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

Avis seems to be the best cheapest option and I haven't had any luck finding anything cheaper than them lately.

Advertisement