Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do what to do?

Options
  • 10-11-2013 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

So,

As dramatically announced in the Road Tax bus(?) my beloved Scott 509 had a bit of a fit yesterday evening when in no particular order the braze on for the FD failed and the FD and chain got fed through the chainset and destroyed.

So after much wailing and gnashing of teeth I'm wondering what to do next given that I'm flat broke with no end date on my brokeness.

Options as far as I can tell are:

1. buy a second hand frame and a new (or 2nd hand FD)
    2. Do without a roadbike for a bit longer and get a new frame like the Ribble Reynolds 525.
    3. Get a different cheaper new frame (Ribble Alu or something for clearance on CRC/Evans)
    4. Try and set up the Scott frame as 1x10
    5. Try and use the Scott with a band on FD.
    6. Give up and cry.

(if I do replace the frame I'd like to do a s/s conversion on the Scott Frame, perhaps for the wife who is only a few centimetres shorter than me).

I was offered a Racelite T frame here last year for a very good price but at the time was even poorer than I am now (not technically but I had no new source of income) and ended up learning to love the 509 frameset.

2nd hand obviously offers a potential bang for buck advantage aswell and really my best reasoning for going new would be to get the Steel frame which could serve in perpetuity as my winter bike rather than another entry level Alu frame that I'd probably end up itching to replace.

In the meantime I'll try and keep my miles up on Commutourer but without a bike I can go on Club rides with my progress is going to be somewhat stunted, further arguments for option 6 then.

As the young people say FML.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Edit: - never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Definitely 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

bcmf wrote: »
    Just thinking out loud here......how do they get the figs in the figrolls?

@Zyzz, thanks for the hugs...personally I felt the kisses were a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Pretty sure that's way over my current budget, my max spend would be the €300ish the Ribble 525 + forks would cost me.

Plus my bodged Ultegra/Tiagra mix and battered Aksiums would be an insult to a fancy Carbon frame.

You maybe surprised if I could get a deal. At the min the frame and forks are just scraping under €300. A bit of hard haggling may work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

4. Try and set up the Scott frame as 1x10
    5. Try and use the Scott with a band on FD.

You could do 4 easily enough. In fact you could run it as two 1x10 sets and just do a manual front change when needed.

OTOH, I do have a 31.6mm band-on FD (105 triple) which would get you going again (assuming the braze on mount cane fully off the tube).

How old is the frame? Have you asked Scott about warranty?

• Advertisement

I got the frame as a gift from a friend who bought it second hand, I'd guess it's at least a decade old.

The braze didn't come off entirely i.e. it wasn't the frame weld that failed but the actual metal 'loop' itself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I have a band on sora FD. PM me.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I'll put up a pic tomorrow but I think the remains of the braze will be in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭happytramp

Yeah, why not just remove the hanger and use a band-on front derailleur?

20131111_003819.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

While I'm no expert, I doubt a band on will be any use without filing the frame flush, which in turn could affect the integrity of the frame long term. I've an old braze on xenon triple fd you're welcome to if it's of any use, it would need a braze on adapter though. Ribble have a clearance section for used frames, though they have to be collected.

If you're on a double or compact, I'd just use it in the smaller ring for the time being, and use it as an excuse for high cadence work. As _cdaly says, you could always change the front manually as needed.

Thanks for all the responses so far guys.

I too think that the band-on is a non runner because of the remnants of the braze.

The 1 x 10 will be ok for laps of the park but with my knees I won't be taking on Wicklow with a 10speed, or getting off at the top of descents to manually change to the big ring.

Off to Brazil for most of December so I'll have to sit on my spending hand until January but in the meantime I'll try and keep the fitness via a mix of Phoenix park/Kildare/Meath miles on my "shiny new" 10spd and my drop bar commuter.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I too think that the band-on is a non runner because of the remnants of the braze.
    Surely you can just dremel/hacksaw that off?

Lumen wrote: »
    Surely you can just dremel/hacksaw that off?

Would the weld be that easy to remove? My main concern would be damaging the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭nilhg

If it was mine I'd be gently filing that braze on off and fitting a band on, I can't for the life of me see how you'd seriously weaken the frame unless you go way too far after all you're not going to be producing any heat. The bare minimum of filing to get the band on on would be the way to go.

Ok, trying to borrow a hacksaw and file today.

Will I need to get some sort of primer paint to recover the filed area if successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Ok, trying to borrow a hacksaw and file today.

Will I need to get some sort of primer paint to recover the filed area if successful?

Did the mount compromise the frame at all when the damage was done? If not then you should be able to carefully grind off the remainder of the mount without compromising the frame, clean up the area and have another mount brazed on before you paint - its alu so won't rust, will just need a light sanding before you paint. The alternative is to have a screw on mount and use rivets instead to avoid having to thread the frame.

DaithiMC wrote: »
    Did the mount compromise the frame at all when the damage was done? If not then you should be able to carefully grind off the remainder of the mount without compromising the frame, clean up the area and have another mount brazed on before you paint - its alu so won't rust, will just need a light sanding before you paint. The alternative is to have a screw on mount and use rivets instead to avoid having to thread the frame.

Will I not just be able to use a band-on?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Will I not just be able to use a band-on?

Yes, sure, the band on will work - though you still have the option of replacing the braze on is my point, either by finding some kind soul to help (plumbers are particularly good at brazing) or drilling the frame and riveting a bolt on...... see about halfway down this page... http://www.moruyabicycles.com.au/contents/en-uk/d87_front-derailleur.html

The thick plottens :(

1. The seat tube is oval not round. I presume this could be an issue with using a band-on?
    2. The big chainring is damaged, the teeth are jagged in several places, so best case scenario I'll need to file them down.
    3. Both tyres are now flat...probably a symptom of cycling in the glass strewn canal cycle lanes.

I am severely down about this, it's like all of my problems are coming at once.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The thick plottens :(

1. The seat tube is oval not round. I presume this could be an issue with using a band-on?
    2. The big chainring is damaged, the teeth are jagged in several places, so best case scenario I'll need to file them down.
    3. Both tyres are now flat...probably a symptom of cycling in the glass strewn canal cycle lanes.

It's time to put her down.......

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

For now, though, you don't need front shifting. Fix the punctures and roll on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Would some rubber "shims" help with the round band on and an oval tube??

But as Lumen says, you don't need the big ring to have a working bike

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If you got the frame filed flush, you might get a front derailleur adapter to fit your oval frame.

Lumen wrote: »
    For now, though, you don't need front shifting. Fix the punctures and roll on!

I'm more worried about the damaged teeth on my big chainring...I suppose I can just use the small one for now.

Ok,

Update, looks like a band-on compatible with the tear drop shaped seat tube on my frame isn't going to happen so I'm going to try pop riveting on a threaded bracket.

So, now I've got to get my hands on a suitable Front mech before next week.

Advertisement