Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop between €300-€400?

Options
  • 10-11-2013 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good laptop betwwen 300-€400 with windows 7 .Generally just wanted for web browsing and downloading?Most of the laptops ive looked at in stores are between 4-€500 and i just dont want to spend that amount of money.

Any help would be great,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

Are you happy to buy a used laptop or are you looking for something brand new?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I was going to start a thread in a similar vein but I suppose I'll just post up here.
    I'm looking for a standard laptop to use purely for listening to music and word processing. I have a desktop PC that I use primarily for gaming and being creative with Photoshop so I'm not looking for a laptop with mad specs.
    My budget is around €350 and I'd ideally prefer a new model.

McChubbin wrote: »
    I was going to start a thread in a similar vein but I suppose I'll just post up here.
    I'm looking for a standard laptop to use purely for listening to music and word processing. I have a desktop PC that I use primarily for gaming and being creative with Photoshop so I'm not looking for a laptop with mad specs.
    My budget is around €350 and I'd ideally prefer a new model.

Is there a particular screen size that you prefer?
    Around that price you will probably be looking for a Netbook instead of a laptop.

If you are happy to go with a Chromebook then HP 14-c002sa Pavilion Chromebook Laptop looks like a good bet. I would wait until the price drops though (This same laptop was on Amazon at £199 about a week ago so I'm sure the price will drop to that level again soon).

Looking at proper Laptops it's really difficult to recommend something at that price. There is Asus X551CA at Argos but I wouldn't recommend buying it. Save up a bit and look for something around 450 euro. At this price you will be able to pick up something decent, otherwise you'll end up buying a Laptop that will feel sluggish from the day 1 (I've been there and will never do it again).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

but43r wrote: »
    Is there a particular screen size that you prefer?
    Around that price you will probably be looking for a Netbook instead of a laptop.

If you are happy to go with a Chromebook then HP 14-c002sa Pavilion Chromebook Laptop looks like a good bet. I would wait until the price drops though (This same laptop was on Amazon at £199 about a week ago so I'm sure the price will drop to that level again soon).

Looking at proper Laptops it's really difficult to recommend something at that price. There is Asus X551CA at Argos but I wouldn't recommend buying it. Save up a bit and look for something around 450 euro. At this price you will be able to pick up something decent, otherwise you'll end up buying a Laptop that will feel sluggish from the day 1 (I've been there and will never do it again).

Sound good. I was looking briefly at the HP TouchSmart and it looks like a safe bet but I'm no sure about the touch screen interface- it might be too much of a learning curve. I'm just after something simple. I was in DID Electrics today and they had a nice Fujitsu laptop with 4 GB ram and 750GB harddrive for around €389.99 which wasn't at all bad.
    I'll take your advice and continue to save, though. I want to get the best that I can afford along with an external harddrive, anti-virus software and a few accessories such as a mouse and speakers.

I'll only be using it for word processing and listening to music so I'm looking for insane specs.

McChubbin wrote: »
    Sound good. I was looking briefly at the HP TouchSmart and it looks like a safe bet but I'm no sure about the touch screen interface- it might be too much of a learning curve. I'm just after something simple. I was in DID Electrics today and they had a nice Fujitsu laptop with 4 GB ram and 750GB harddrive for around €389.99 which wasn't at all bad.
    I'll take your advice and continue to save, though. I want to get the best that I can afford along with an external harddrive, anti-virus software and a few accessories such as a mouse and speakers.

I'll only be using it for word processing and listening to music so I'm looking for insane specs.

Touch interface is just something to pay extra for so the other specs might be cut down to compensate that.

In regard to Anti Virus software, don't worry about it too much. Avast Antivirus (Which is free) should be sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Can anyone recommend a good laptop betwwen 300-€400 with windows 7 .Generally just wanted for web browsing and downloading?Most of the laptops ive looked at in stores are between 4-€500 and i just dont want to spend that amount of money.

Any help would be great,thanks

Windows 7?

Windows 8 is grand, I'll have a look for laptops tomorrow but when I got mine there was some nice Toshiba's on sale.

edit - had a quick look there, would something like this do you?

www.pcworld.ie/Product/TOSHIBA-Satellite-C50DA133-156andrdquo-Laptop/316355/104.10

Afaik the RAM can be upgraded to 8gb if you ever wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

sorry for jumping in on this but I'm looking for a similar priced laptop or tablet with keyboard but would prefer something more portable. Thinking about 10.1 inch to 13 inch screen.

I like the Microsoft Surface but hate the touch keyboard.

Also anyone know if these are any good:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1376173/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780850%7CLaptops+and+netbooks%7C14419039.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1091881/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780850%7CLaptops+and+netbooks%7C14419039.htm

THe second one is the cheaper version of the S200, only has a Celeron 847 processor or something like that.

Advertisement