Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing New TV For The PS4!

Options
  • 10-11-2013 6:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭

My head is wrecked going through hundreds of written / video reviews.

I've narrowed it down to a few I think are best for me. I'm open to other suggestions if you have any. These are the requirements:
    • Budget would be about €1500 preferably.
    • The most important thing is that it's the best TV for the PlayStation 4 coming out in a few weeks.
    • I'll also be watching Blu-Ray's and DVD's plus a lot of sport.
    • The added "Smart" features are not a must but they are nice to have.
    • 55" or 60" are my preferences. Not really enough room for bigger.

From my research these are the TV's I think are best for me in order.
    1. 55" Class (54.6" diag) W900A Internet TV
    2. 60" (diag) R550A Series LED Internet TV
    3. 55" Class (54.6" diag) W802A Series LED Internet TV

I know they're all Sony but a lot of well respect reviewers recommended the first two I've listed as the best things out there for gaming right now in their price range.

My current TV is a 42" Toshiba which is OK but about 5 years old. I really want something that will wow me and really show off the games I play on the PS4 and the movies I watch!

Can you tell me if you'd recommend any of them and if not what would you recommend instead and why.

All help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I really want something that will wow me and really show off the games I play on the PS4 and the movies I watch!

You wont get the wow factor with your average TV, if you want to be blown away get yourself a projector!

I have a 43" Pioneer plasma, 55" Panansonic top of the range plasma and a 150" projector. There is no comparison when it comes to the wow factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

branners69 wrote: »
    You wont get the wow factor with your average TV, if you want to be blown away get yourself a projector!

I have a 43" Pioneer plasma, 55" Panansonic top of the range plasma and a 150" projector. There is no comparison when it comes to the wow factor!

I want a 55" TV as I've not the room for a projector. I play fast paced games online so input lag is key and the sony 55" is miles ahead of the rest.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag

check out the 55" tv's on that list

I only play console games, mostly Xbox 360 but also PS3. I only play on my projector and have never experienced any lag.

Do you not even have a spare wall you can paint white for a projector, would be the best decision of your life!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I want a 55" TV as I've not the room for a projector. I play fast paced games online so input lag is key and the sony 55" is miles ahead of the rest.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag

check out the 55" tv's on that list

I still think your making a horrendous mistake making your choice purely on input lag.
    The picture quality on a 55 led versus a 55 plasma are miles apart from each other.

If you wanted a 42 I'd say fire ahead with a led but as your requirement is best picture quality for games or movies it can only be plasma. From reading some of your latest posts your under the impression that plasma is no use with the lights on that is completely wrong. While plasma is brilliant with the lights off it is also excellent with the lights on, when were talking about bright rooms we mean places with loads of light like Harvey Norman and rooms that the sun is shining into. You've picked us up wrong if you think we're referring to a normal sitting room environment. Plasma is perfectly fine under normal conditions.

With your budget please go talk to home av experts before buying the led, as said before you won't find these guys selling led's in arnotts. Try richer sounds, Savins etc for advice.

I still think your making a horrendous mistake making your choice purely on input lag.
    The picture quality on a 55 led versus a 55 plasma are miles apart from each other.

If you wanted a 42 I'd say fire ahead with a led but as your requirement is best picture quality for games or movies it can only be plasma. From reading some of your latest posts your under the impression that plasma is no use with the lights on that is completely wrong. While plasma is brilliant with the lights off it is also excellent with the lights on, when were talking about bright rooms we mean places with loads of light like Harvey Norman and rooms that the sun is shining into. You've picked us up wrong if you think we're referring to a normal sitting room environment. Plasma is perfectly fine under normal conditions.

With your budget please go talk to home av experts before buying the led, as said before you won't find these guys selling led's in arnotts. Try richer sounds, Savins etc for advice.

Cheers will check them out. Was in Harvey Norman's today and they had all the top end TV's LED and Plasma. They had Battlefield 4 hooked up to a Samsung from one of their older models and it looked incredible. Obviously it would look a lot better on a 55" W9 or the top 55" Samsung.

Honestly wasn't that impressed with the plasma's looking at them even with their promo footage playing. It might be just be but I just find the bright LED look far more appealing. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

One thing I will say, the Sony 4k TV and the Samsung is just mind blowing. Compared a football match from best Plasma's/LED's to it and it leaves them in the dust. It's like you're actually at the matches. Can't wait till 4k or 8k is mainstream in like 5 years.

Honestly once it does I'll be happy and any future upgrades to technology will be a bonus because that's good enough for me.

• Advertisement

I only play console games, mostly Xbox 360 but also PS3. I only play on my projector and have never experienced any lag.

Do you not even have a spare wall you can paint white for a projector, would be the best decision of your life!

Not in our living room and that's where I want to play. I know projector has no input lag and wouldn't talk anyone out of getting one but for some of us a TV is the only option and the input lag on the Sony 55" TV's is not far behind a projector.

It might be just be but I just find the bright LED look far more appealing. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

TVs are like pretty girls, it is all in the eye of the beholder. I dont like LED as it makes everything very unrealistic and animated which you obviously enjoy.
    One thing I will say, the Sony 4k TV and the Samsung is just mind blowing. Compared a football match from best Plasma's/LED's to it and it leaves them in the dust. It's like you're actually at the matches. Can't wait till 4k or 8k is mainstream in like 5 years.

Honestly once it does I'll be happy and any future upgrades to technology will be a bonus because that's good enough for me.

They say new tvs can handle HDMI 2.0 with a firmware update but I wouldnt hold my breath! Like most technology once you buy it, 18 months later it is way behind!
    Not in our living room and that's where I want to play. I know projector has no input lag and wouldn't talk anyone out of getting one...

I have played console games on at least 6 plasmas and not once did I notice this lag, dont miss the bigger picture (pardon the pun!).
    ...the input lag on the Sony 55" TV's is not far behind a projector.

Just a pity it is a third of the size :D

TVs are like pretty girls, it is all in the eye of the beholder. I dont like LED as it makes everything very unrealistic and animated which you obviously enjoy.

They say new tvs can handle HDMI 2.0 with a firmware update but I wouldnt hold my breath! Like most technology once you buy it, 18 months later it is way behind!

I have played console games on at least 6 plasmas and not once did I notice this lag, dont miss the bigger picture (pardon the pun!).

Just a pity it is a third of the size :D

imagine 4k or 8k gaming on a projector!!

Advertisement