Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dual sim phone

Options
  • 09-11-2013 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

I want a dual sim phone so that I don't have to carry two phones around - work and personal

Looking at

Sansung Grand from amazon
    Aku A1 from DID
    Maya M1 from DID

Anyone have any of the above or can understand and compare the three. I currently have a Samsung S3

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I want a dual sim phone so that I don't have to carry two phones around - work and personal

Looking at

Sansung Grand from amazon
    Aku A1 from DID
    Maya M1 from DID

Anyone have any of the above or can understand and compare the three. I currently have a Samsung S3

Thanks in advance for any help

I have a Star b93 m dual sim for the last 12 months that I purchased from China. Its a great phone for only 180 delivered.

There's a chinese android thread in the android forum if you wanted to save a few quid!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

Samsung Xperia M

Good phone if 4" screen is enough for you. The spec is very similar as Samsung Galaxy Grand. It's a bit cheaper so you could probably get the phone and 16gb of memory for around the same price as Galaxy Grand.

My work colleague has one and it seemed like a good phone when I was playing around with it.

I wouldn't advise getting an unknown brand. I've been burned couple of times where the phone starts acting up fairly quickly after purchasing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

Thanks Michael but I don't want to go down the Chinese route. Would prefer named brands.

But43r thanks for telling me about the xperia but am used to bigger screen now.

Really I wanted someone who is techie to compare the ones I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Thanks Michael but I don't want to go down the Chinese route. Would prefer named brands.

I mentioned this a few times on here. I've a Dual sim Wiko Stairway got via Amazon.fr with delivery a tenner. Check out the range on wikomobile.com from around €150 basic to €300. It's a great phone - 2 yr warranty and like a cheaper S4 - even looks the same. It's same screen size but slightly bigger edge bezels, good battery life and never had any issues with lag etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

MBSnr wrote: »
    I mentioned this a few times on here. I've a Dual sim Wiko Stairway got via Amazon.fr with delivery a tenner. Check out the range on wikomobile.com from around €150 basic to €300. It's a great phone - 2 yr warranty and like a cheaper S4 - even looks the same. It's same screen size but slightly bigger edge bezels, good battery life and never had any issues with lag etc.

Ya I've had mine 12 months and never had a problem.

• Advertisement

You're not likely to get someone who will do that for you. I think you'll just have to bite the bullet and choose the one you think is the best value for the money.

All you'll going to get here is replies to your post saying my phone is this and it's great.... Just as I and others have already posted.... opps :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

acer liquid e2 duo,

i have one, no problrms after 4 months, pretty cheap too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The best comparisions that I've seen is on www.gsmarena.com. They list the specs of most phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Looking for a dual sim phone myself.

Those Wiko phones look very good for the price.

The 2 I'm looking at are the Stairway and the Cink 5. There doesn't seem to much difference spec wise between the phones apart from the better camera and battery on the Stairway. It works out about €45 more expensive. Just wondering does anyone have the Cink 5 or is the Stairway worth the extra money? I also can't find any reviews/youtube videos in English. Any one able to help? Thanks.

Looking for a dual sim phone myself.

Those Wiko phones look very good for the price.

The 2 I'm looking at are the Stairway and the Cink 5. There doesn't seem to much difference spec wise between the phones apart from the better camera and battery on the Stairway. It works out about €45 more expensive. Just wondering does anyone have the Cink 5 or is the Stairway worth the extra money? I also can't find any reviews/youtube videos in English. Any one able to help? Thanks.

Stairway has gorilla glass - Cink 5 doesn't. I have the Stairway and an very impressed with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Enrique2SIM

Hi,

If you already have the Galaxy S3 and you're looking to renew with something nearer to high-end I would advice the Galaxy Mega 5.8 Duos, the Galaxy S4 Mini Duos or the Lenovo K900 dual SIM.

Those are models from well-known brands and have pretty interesting features, however, its prices are not as cheap as Chinese smartphones.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

So I ordered the Stairway of Amazon.fr last night.

Just wondering about updates? I see it comes with Android 4.2.1. Is there any way of updating this to 4.3 or 4.4 when it comes out?

Also, is there anywhere I can buy a case for it? They have sellers on Amazon.fr but they don't ship to Ireland or the UK :(

So I ordered the Stairway of Amazon.fr last night.

Just wondering about updates? I see it comes with Android 4.2.1. Is there any way of updating this to 4.3 or 4.4 when it comes out?

Also, is there anywhere I can buy a case for it? They have sellers on Amazon.fr but they don't ship to Ireland or the UK :(

See my reply in the other thread to your post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87606179&postcount=23

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hybie

I went into Carphone Warehouse a few days ago (without ever having done research on dual sim phones) and asked if they had any phones that had allowed two sims, as I live in The Netherlands and commute back and forth from Ireland. The sales assistant told me that they were not allowed to sell dual sim phones....is that true?

Are all the phones listed above (the duo versions of them anyways) only able to be bought online or outside of ireland? Sounds a bit unlikely to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

CW sold one model of dual sim the E2222 a while back.

Never seen any since.

hybie wrote: »
    Are all the phones listed above (the duo versions of them anyways) only able to be bought online or outside of ireland? Sounds a bit unlikely to me.

Wiko are a French company/brand and primarily sell only in that country. They do appear on pixmania and other sites outside of France, but prices vary (normally more expensive).

Are any of those mentioned in the above comments (Galaxy Grand, Galaxy Mega 5.8 Duos, the Galaxy S4 Mini Duos, the Lenovo K900 dual SIM) on sale in Ireland or do you need to buy them online?

Others I've seen mentioned for being good dual phones are Sony Xperia C, HTC Desire 601 - couldn't see them on any Irish phone dealer websites though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Why do you need to buy them off an Irish Dealer. Even single sim phones are often cheaper online.

Well I head back to The Netherlands on Sunday morning, and just wanted something quick...so was trying to see if I could buy any of those list above tomorrow in a shop in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Enrique2SIM

hybie wrote: »
    I went into Carphone Warehouse a few days ago (without ever having done research on dual sim phones) and asked if they had any phones that had allowed two sims, as I live in The Netherlands and commute back and forth from Ireland. The sales assistant told me that they were not allowed to sell dual sim phones....is that true?

Hi,

That's not true, you can buy plenty of dual SIM devices all around the world (online and offline). You just have to buy an unlocked phone and a couple of free SIMs from your preferred telecom carrier and you're done.

Maybe the guys in the cellphones store told you that they are not allowed to sell this type of device because that will be bad for their business (they will sell less devices...)

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Dual SIM phones are not locked etc or linked to a carrier, in Ireland CPW sell phones with carrier subsidy. Also dual SIM models are directed at the Asian market, perhaps the manufacturers don't want them sold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

Update

I ended up buying a Samsung grand duos of amazon.co.uk and am delighted with it. I had the s3 and it is very similar to it.

Advertisement