Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ASUS AC66u router:Traffic management/QOS

Options
  • 09-11-2013 9:55pm
    Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I would like to configure my router (ASUS ac66u) so that my STB gets priority traffic.

There is an in built traffic management tool in the GUI called Q.O.S (Quality of service) which allows you to identify a I.P , PORT# , service type etc.

But I don't really understand it.

here is a screen shot of the QOS menu..
    279435.PNG

It looks pretty straight forward....enter desires i.p of box etc

but what service type and port am i looking to set?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Set up a static ip address on the STB. Set the ports to 1:20000 (to include 1 to 20,000, most ports) or something, I don't know what port it uses (by port I mean: Http/web operates from 80, https/ssl 443, ftp 21 etc.).

Then you can set the IP address of the STB for priority on the network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭smee again

I know what you're at, you know the destination port of the connection (the port of your cline) so add this as a new service port and set a static ip (or DHCP reservation) on your sat box and protocol TCP in the QOS settings of your router

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Thanks guys..

Smee my line is using 29030 port so I will use that, but see the first drop down menu...its asking for a service type...which will i use or are they just for using as a title and have no baring on the other fields to be filled out?

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Thanks guys..

Smee my line is using 29030 port so I will use that, but see the first drop down menu...its asking for a service type...which will i use or are they just for using as a title and have no baring on the other fields to be filled out?

Sounds like a title alright, is there options to select from

smee again wrote: »
    Sounds like a title alright, is there options to select from

I selected any of them. What it does it autofill thre ports field when selected.

I simply then manually changed the port number to that which my cline is in.

Thanks again man. I must owe you a heap of pints at this stage :)

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »
    I selected any of them. What it does it autofill thre ports field when selected.

I simply then manually changed the port number to that which my cline is in.

Thanks again man. I must owe you a heap of pints at this stage :)

That may not work, you most likely need to find the section where you add these services and create a new service

smee again wrote: »
    That may not work, you most likely need to find the section where you add these services and create a new service

There is nowhere to setup a service and the drop down list is predefined.

When i manually changed the ports and saved I am showing an entry for:
    • stb I.P/MAC
    • destination port 29030
    • protocol :TCP
    on the GUI.

I will suck it and see.

Advertisement