Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Per-User Network Permissions

Options
  • 09-11-2013 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Server, a few clients, all running Win7. I have stuff shared on server via advanced sharing. At the moment, I've configured permissions such that NETWORK allows read an modify.

I want more control though. When I try to add a new user under Permissions, I can only choose users within the server (under Locations). How do I go about adding, let's say Family-PC\Dad to the folder permissions on the server?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jaoibh

Hi,

You say you have a server.. is this a machine you are running windows 7 on and using as a "server" or do you have a Server machine running a Windows server build like Server 2008 R2 or Server 2012?

If you are using a Windows 7 machine you are in a work group so you have to create users on the "server" and then give the password to your dad for example so he can access the share.

I hope this makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

It's a standard Win7 machine, being used as a server. Should have clarified that.

So I've been going about this a bit wrong then. I've currently got everyone logged in under the server's admin account. So I need separate accounts for each user (ideally the same login info as their own PCs/accounts to avoid confusion)

Is there a way to create users without associated accounts? These users are never going to be logging in to the server, so they don't need a desktop or documents folders, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jaoibh

hey

you are going to have to create them a profile there's no way around that.
    They will be on the same workgroup and will be allowed access and it shouldn't ask them for a username and password if you use the same password on the clients as the "server"

Or you can install windows Server and we can have a lot more fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I had actually looked at WHS as an option. In the end I figured I could do most things I wanted with Win7 (and I had a spare license anyway).

What sort of fun things could I get up to though, out of curiosity?

I should mention that this server handles client backups, downloads, etc., Minecraft and Plex servers, and possibly a VM or two in the future.

Advertisement