Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anybody give an explaination. .

Options
  • 09-11-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

. . as to why colleges across ireland give out scholarships and bursaries to girls entering college from the leaving cert to study engineering???? im trying to write a report but i cant find any leads on this q??????

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Please rephrase your question or it will be deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

To try level out the insane gender imbalance I'd imagine..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

mawk wrote: »
    To try level out the insane gender imbalance I'd imagine..

Out of almost 100 in my first year class (level 7 mechanical engineering) there were 2 girls both of whom dropped out for different reasons. The level 8 degree attracts more females in CIT from what I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

itgirl268 wrote: »
    . . as to why colleges across ireland give out scholarships and bursaries to girls entering college from the leaving cert to study engineering???? im trying to write a report but i cant find any leads on this q??????

Could you explain the question a bit more? Is it every girl or is it means tested? If it's means tested then it's no different to any other country. (WEB) is pretty common in the U.K and Australia.

You haven't supplied nearly enough information. To say there are no leads, to me anyway, seems like you just haven't really tried and just came here hoping someone would give you an answer. If it's means tested then it's based on academic achievement and not every female will get it. A quick google. It's not Ireland but it shows there are some sort of requirements to be eligible.

EDIT: by WEB i mean women engineering bursaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

This is literally a place for you to get your homework done ain't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭itgirl268

no im trying to do research and theres nothing on the web

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

web != boards.ie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Best place would be to ask a few of the colleges them selves and also Engineers Ireland.

Go to the admissions dept or even the secretary of the Engineering department.

Either they'll know or they'll be able to direct you to the right person.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

there was a previous thread on this I believe.

I recall in UL around the late 90's, the 1st year girls with the best leaving cert in each of the engineering classes got £500 each in a presentation by the president in the white house (Plassy house, not the one in DC). This apparently was to encourage them into engineering. the thing was the only found about it a few days before the presentation and they were at least 6 weeks into 1st year by then.

Advertisement