Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky+ Box is SOOO Slow!!

Options
  • 09-11-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi,

My parents have a Sky+ box in their living room. It is the old white one - not sky+ HD. The thing is, once you plug it in, it takes literally 5 minutes before you can turn it on!

Sky support said to reset the box. Which worked for a while, but as time went on it just got worse again. I assume its something to do with the hard drive?

I don't want to get them the new HD box as I believe the user interface is more difficult to handle. Is this a common problem? Is my only option to buy a second-hand white Sky+ box and see if it still happens?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

ripcord wrote: »
    Hi,

My parents have a Sky+ box in their living room. It is the old white one - not sky+ HD. The thing is, once you plug it in, it takes literally 5 minutes before you can turn it on!

Sky support said to reset the box. Which worked for a while, but as time went on it just got worse again. I assume its something to do with the hard drive?

I don't want to get them the new HD box as I believe the user interface is more difficult to handle. Is this a common problem? Is my only option to buy a second-hand white Sky+ box and see if it still happens?

Thanks for the help!

You could try and reformat the hard drive on the box but if you do this you will loose all the recordings on it.
    Do this by unplugging the box or switch off the socket then on the top of the box hold the left and right arrow buttons down and then repower it while still holding them down after about 30 seconds the blue/green circle will light up on the front panel when this comes on press the select button on top twice the circle will begin to rotate anticlockwise and the record and play lights will come on. Once the lights go off you will be left with a red light on the front, wait for about 3 mins before turning back on.
    This should sort out the box for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

SPAWKER wrote: »
    You could try and reformat the hard drive on the box but if you do this you will loose all the recordings on it.
    Do this by unplugging the box or switch off the socket then on the top of the box hold the left and right arrow buttons down and then repower it while still holding them down after about 30 seconds the blue/green circle will light up on the front panel when this comes on press the select button on top twice the circle will begin to rotate anticlockwise and the record and play lights will come on. Once the lights go off you will be left with a red light on the front, wait for about 3 mins before turning back on.
    This should sort out the box for you.

That is the reset procedure that I did with sky support. It worked initially, but after a while the problem came back.

ripcord wrote: »
    That is the reset procedure that I did with sky support. It worked initially, but after a while the problem came back.

Best bet then is probably a second hand one which you should pick up on Adverts for about E30.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is there a lot of recordings on it?

If so, the HDD might be getting filled up and running slower.

Or maybe the HDD is acting up and needs replaced, its easy done.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is there a lot of recordings on it?

If so, the HDD might be getting filled up and running slower.

Or maybe the HDD is acting up and needs replaced, its easy done.

It's about half full I think. Not too bad. Would getting a second hand box be easier than finding and replacing a new hard drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,134 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Six of one ....

A replacement 320gb 3.5" drive would be cheap, and fitting it is easy enough, plenty of clear instructions on the net.

Having said that, I am sure you could pick up a Sky+ box cheap enough in the classifieds these days, especially as a lot of people would now have upgraded to Sky+HD boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

The box is meant to take a few mins after plugging it before it will allow you to switch it on. The sky box will check if the drive is working ok and takes time for power supply to heat up slightly for enough power to be generated....factors such as the drive been full or turning down the instant rewind time will help it...

Also carry out housekeeping on the drive from time to time. This will move items around on your drive but it will not delete anything similar to defragging a pc.

Advertisement