Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross-cutting logs??

Options
  • 09-11-2013 3:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

What kind of saw is used for cross-cutting logs? Say I have a long log and I want to cut cross sections of about 20mm each. Are my only options a chain saw or a hand saw? The diameter of the log is about 280mm and some logs are wider, others less so. A table saw might cut logs with a smaller diameter but it would be difficult to brace the length against the fence properly. would it not? Will a bandsaw only rip logs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I think you mean 'cross sections of wood 200 mm' ( not 20 ) If you want crude basic cuts then use a chainsaw. Forget circular saws and bandsaws - the log will roll into them and jam,usually damaging your equipment. There are dedicated cross cutting log saws made by Scheppach amongst others if you feel like investing.

Advertisement