Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrek the musical

Options
  • 08-11-2013 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭

Just been announced for October 2014 with tickets going on sale a whopping eleven months ahead.

It's basically the movie with more songs. It's a good night out though.

For those interested in not spending €50 a ticket, the broadway show was just released on DVD last week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I wouldn't advise booking this until the casting is announced if you're into musicals. The show needs a strong cast to make it feel more like a musical and less like a panto. I got to see Nigel Harman as Lord Farquardt and he was awesome, made the show. Amanda Holden less so, but our Shrek & Donkey were poor and I would be wary of weak casting.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Only the actor playing Shrek has been announced. It's Dean Chisnall who originally understudied the role and then took over the role when Nigel Lindsay (who wasn't great) left. He's a fantastic Shrek with a fabulous voice.

I would hold off booking until they announce the Fiona and Donkey. The London show had Richard Blackwood as Donkey who was horrendous. So so bad, couldn't act or sing. They had to cut songs out as he couldn't sing them.
    Luckily it had a couple of fabulous understudy Donkeys who were amazing.

The Fionas were mostly disappointing. Amanda Holden, Kimberly Walsh all OK, nothing special. Carley Stenson was good I thought but a bit too old for the role I felt.

What really makes this show great is the ensemble which are amazing. It's worth going to see for "Freak Flag" and the other ensemble numbers. The DVD as far as I know is only available in region 1 format (US) at the moment. But any multi-region DVD player will play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭OU812

I reckon they'll go for some stunt casting in some of the "human" roles. Wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Kimberly Walsh or an Irish name announced (one of the b*witched girls maybe) to boost sales. I don't think we have a current famous pop girl doing the rounds, do we ?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Well they pretty much stunt cast all the leads in the WE show and most were at best mediocre.
    Some of the finest actors and actresses in the WE were cast in the ensemble, such a waste. Must have been hard for them seeing the lead roles being pretty much massacred on a nightly basis.

This is why it's best to wait until the casting is announced, and we see which of this year's X Factor rejects they've cast.

They did get the casting spot on with Dragon however, Landi Oshinowo was really amazing in the role.

Advertisement