Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fixed Penalty Notice Sent to the wrong address

Options
  • 08-11-2013 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi
    I got stopped a few weeks ago for the first time in 13 years. The Garda asked me for my drivers licence. He went back to his car for a few mins, came back, asked me if the address on my licence was my current address, I said yes (it is my current address!). He said it'll be €80 and 2 points. Well the fixed penalty notice was mailed to an old address. The unopened letter is from Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division, Shannon, Co. Clare.... so I'm pretty sure it's the ticket. Can I get out of this on a technicality? Could I get it sent back as "no one by that name lives at this address"? Could I wait and let a court summons go to the wrong address? I want to open it but I think I probably shouldn't.. Any advice? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Might go the wrong address but it's your name.
    The court summons will go to the wrong address and if you don't turn up the bench warrant will be issued..in your name.

I wouldn't normally be the type to say this but just pay up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If the old address is the same one your car is registered to you don't have any portion of a leg to stand on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Have you had a vehicle that was scrapped, or otherwise disposed of other than by selling it to another driver. If you have, the letter from Shannon could be their cleaning up the database of old registrations that have not been taxed for some period of time, so they are asking the question, and it relates to the new statutory off road notification changes that have now come into action.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Dgriff

Ah, sorry. I opened the letter and it's something different. It's to do with my old car that's sitting in the drive way. They want road tax but it's off the road. I need to sell the thing for scrap!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Dgriff

I think it's only a matter of time til I get that one! I don't think there'll be anyway out of it. I'll just sit and wait. Unless by the grace of god it falls between the stools! Fat chance of that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

OP,

When this goes to court (which it will) i have had a friend recently with the same thing. You will end up paying a slightly larger fine and still get the points.

My advise to you is to pay the fine and move on with it.

Because you will get a summons they have been taking a fairly hard line on this since previous loop hole fiascos and the whole penalty points scam that came out in the media.

You wont win this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I went to pay my fine, at a garda station, like an idiot. Ended up I was a day late anyway so the garda told me to wait for the next letter. There is no second letter.. Lol.. so the next thing to come was a letter to go to court.
    4 points and €100 fine.
    The garda pushed to get more yoyos however, the judge was close to someone!

They expired a year ago. I've only got two now :D Until Feb 2014.

• Advertisement
Advertisement