Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iroko Wooden Gate

Options
  • 08-11-2013 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hi folks I am looking at getting a double swing gate made out of Iroko or something similar.
    The span is just over 4000 x 1800 high.
    One of the company's I have been in contact with use Timber lamination to make their gates.

Copied this off their website.
    "Timber Lamination is joining of timbers along their length in numerous layers which greatly increases its strength and stability.

With the increase in adhesive technology the timber industry has been able to produce laminated timber that is far stronger than the original and with regards to wooden gates it remains straight and true which is a real asset when it comes to a pair of gates.

The process by which this timber is produced involves the use of modern adhesives which will outlast the timber itself, which means that the adhesive is not going to fail and your wooden gates fall apart."

When I think of lamination all I think of is plywood, have any of you any experience with laminated enterance gates? Are they a suitable alternative or better then solid Gates?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

In boatbuilding it's done all the time and it's true epoxy glue will outlast the timber also cross graining timber will keep it straighter and stronger than a single piece of timber. Most plywoods will delaminate because of the glue and the voids in them but stuff like marine ply is built with the intension of it getting wet and for it's structure so it will not delaminate the same as your standard ply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

As long as they use a water resistant timber like Iroko it should be ok.( lamination does not need crossed layers like plywood ) The trouble is that lamination will not look as nice as solid timber so will probably need to be painted ?
    I suspect they are using cheaper materials as the lamination process is quite labour intensive, but I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Optimum

Thanks folks much appreciated, the company sent on some pics of their work and l have to say it doesn't look bad, am waiting where the closest place that they have done previous work so I can go for a nosey..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭jack of all

In terms of appearance I quite like the laminated appearance of birch ply, glulam beams and furniture etc but I would not be so happy if there was a lot of finger joints in a set of gates, just my opinion but I think if they were using finger joints (and they probably are) I would like to see their product in the flesh.

Advertisement