Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MCSA 2008 with FAS

Options
  • 07-11-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi Guys,

Ive worked as a desktop engineer for a about 3 years, I want to get into more server/back end work tough, I'm currently out of work and studying for a few exams, I 'm halfway through Net +, and plan to take the CCENT when I finish, ultimately I want to work in server work and do some MS certs. Can anyone give me any idea of the difficulty of server MCSA's , MS recommend having 2 years server work for the 2012 exams, I have very little server experience- is it feasable to think i can pass all 3 exams if I work at it very hard. FAS have a classroom server '08 course starting in April, which is probably around when I will finish the N+ and CCENT, ideally I would like to take the '12 exams then, but since there is a classroom course starting , I'm thinking this will help me more than doing myself with books as i have no server experience. I'll setup a home lab whether its in the class or books myself.

So my questions are, first off is it feasable to be able to do all 3 exams with no server experience, I hear 410 is ok and the rest are quite hard, and would doing it in a class be that much more beneficial to me that I should do the FAS '08 course rather than '12 myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I don't think there's any point in paying for both the N+ and the CCENT unless you're planning on going all the way to CCNA (in which case the N+ would be redundant). One or the other will be fine for a sysadmin. I would aim at finishing the N+ (or CCENT) long before April if I were you; it's a very basic cert.

I haven't taken MS exams since the 2003 track (MCSE), but they weren't difficult (I used a combination of training videos and hands-on study). If you're a quick learner you can ignore the '2 years experience' recommendation.

Are you sure FÁS are doing a server 2008 course in 2014? I thought MS were trying to phase out the 2008 exams to get people on the 2012 track.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SRFC_1901

Well, I aim to finish up both exams around Feb, the reason I'm planning on doing the CCENT is becuase I feel my networking is very weak, even with the n+ I feel I still need the CCENT as the N+ is pretty much all theory , and I need hands on work, without the CCENT i would have very little knowledege of working routers/switches- would you feel that the N+ would suffice in a server role? I was thinking of becoming more all rounded as I would have thaught that there would still be some networking in a server role and I didnt think my N+ would help me much, I planned on doing them both to get the broad overview that N+ brings, and narrower/deeper/hands on CCENT give you.
    Interested to hear your thaguhts though.

Heres the link for the course

http://jobseeker.fas.ie/Default.aspx?q=xcxU4Ob4JeuflVpVtfWrNT9vfZ9WT6qs/Yq+nxLMqnbB1FZdkQmfwhbx2AYwHfcwJcDtwOzMNiC7f9TZowANEqRz/No2vAGWP6Pbpadav7ow1NhTLq0g5msyv3gYYWld6+Zrto4LoL5KRnSWlMXsOzm23S6TyfXK344kS9vIIVyeoXXxpViIV2nPnMUhd9M/ss6bqdB6KI7yNNEpzfdz/u5qN/EiTFyh+9jEnQM5K+Tn/PpRzgfe5I0uYcSE4NjwCf6FKN7yR+1iEV/Bsp46w/9vlgimA4WpqFdxEC1L95/+myBul1j4HLiPDEbckjIEpN14VBibwLAuQfNTILSCeRTMy0soK0tunStqzy7zVUmdSO2+ZjzkZgCybRLWkNf5dgmLa9ig5WJD/exNwk5evmgUN0yRNhZuZSRfrtSqRu6uG08rXK6SZtWslk0Z+0hYB3njT4nPWxgprg2LaBIWunmI83ld06VzXa9EP+N2Hsju+ivvwuxDIA==

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I'll confess I don't know a whole lot first-hand about the N+ as I went the Cisco route near the beginning of my career, but I can't imagine the CCENT being much (if any) of an advantage over the N+, particularly for a systems guy. It's not like you'll be configuring routing protocols or messing around with VLAN trunks on Cisco switches, at least not at the entry level.

I would not wait until April to get started on Windows exams. I did on average an exam a month for my MCSE (although I had a bit of Windows experience before starting) so you can definitely get a couple of 2012 exams under your belt before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SRFC_1901

Well, I certainly think the CCENT would be an advantage to me , and would bring me on, in terms of networking, I'm well over half way through and feel I have alot of theory without being able to do much in terms of networking,, it touches a bit of everything without going deep into anything, but the question now im wondering is how much relevance that extra knowledge the CCENT would help me as a server engineer, I was thinking with the FAS server class they would complement eachother nicely, im reconsidering now. Ive changed my mind so many times on what to go for after the N+

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

N+ and CCENT are just basic networking theory, with the CCENT being slightly focused on cisco equipment. Unless your going the full CCNA route I don't see the point in both.

I'm going to have to ask, how did you spend 3 years as desktop support and not bother getting any certs or experience? Being brutally honest, the days of walking into a decent high level IT role without really bothering your hole are gone. The same goes with staying in one. IT regardless of job type is a learning game. Its never going to stop changing, you need to keep 1 eye forward at all times.

If you want to do Microsoft admining, pick up Powershell in a month of lunches and learn it. Get into things like the scripting games, put that information briefly onto the CV. A lot of employers are picking up on the power of decent automation arriving into the windows environment.

Invest and build a whitebox or set up a Azure account and spin up the lowest level servers when you need them. You can learn far more in a couple of days then weeks of any FAS course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement