Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gentlemen Bastards Series

• 07-11-2013 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭

Just started reading The Lies of Locke Lamora and Im flying through it, I only started it though because I saw everyone on here happy that the third book was released and assumed the trilogy was finished but tonight I just realised its only book 3 of 7 :(

So should I stop seeing as I hate being strung along like George RR Martin and all the rest or can I get away with reading these 3 now, are they self contained books or does the 3rd book end on a cliffhanger and Ill be waiting years for a resolution?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

They are fairly self contained, each book is a different story, rather that a small piece of a larger one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats what I was hoping for thanks, I really have nothing else to read at the minute, bit of a drought of good fantasy or sci-fi at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Most people were happy just that the 3rd book was being released at all - it was four/five years late due to Scott Lynch's emotional issues.

Republic of Thieves doesn't end on a cliffhanger as such, and apparently book 4 is going to be set before the events of the first 3 (or so we're hearing), so should be no problem to read the three of them now and then settle in for a potentially long wait before the fourth comes out.

Perfect thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Assume books 4-7 will never happen. If you work off that assumption, you've a decent chance of being correct, and you won't stress about the inevitable delays.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Trojan wrote: »
    Assume books 4-7 will never happen. If you work off that assumption, you've a decent chance of being correct, and you won't stress about the inevitable delays.
    More cautiously optimistic about Book 4 though. He's doing a reading of it, apparently, in a couple of days at WorldCon so it's obviously under way. Just hope he doesn't relapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Also, they are incredibly good books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

I loved Lies of Locke Lamora. And I'm loving Red Seas Under Red Skies. Such good enjoyable books, yet really dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Got bored half way through the second one and haven't gone back to it. Thought the first one was great alright.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Got bored half way through the second one and haven't gone back to it. Thought the first one was great alright.
    Im finding it a bit slow going myself now to be honest, but I have nothing else to read so Ill plough on, probably wont be going straight to republic of thieves though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

New to Boards, so was happy to read peoples thoughts on this. Have just started the Lies of Locke Lamora and so far I'm really enjoying it.

Second one is the weakest of the three published so far I think. A lot to do with the fact there's too much focus on the nautical end of things which there's none of in the third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Most people were happy just that the 3rd book was being released at all - it was four/five years late due to Scott Lynch's emotional issues.

Republic of Thieves doesn't end on a cliffhanger as such, and apparently book 4 is going to be set before the events of the first 3 (or so we're hearing), so should be no problem to read the three of them now and then settle in for a potentially long wait before the fourth comes out.

I thought that book 4 was originally meant to be the first book and books 1 to 3 that have been released were Lynch wanting to expand on Locke Lamora's backgriubd before started events that were intended to be start originally.

I haven't found it too boring. But once the get on the ship it's great fun

ixoy wrote: »
    Second one is the weakest of the three published so far I think. A lot to do with the fact there's too much focus on the nautical end of things which there's none of in the third.

I was bored well before they even got to the ships tbh, read a bit into the seafaring part before I canned it. IIRC it was Jean and Locke's bickering that eventually gave me the hump - if two of my friends were carrying on like that I'd go home, never mind two made up guys in a book!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Think I will pick these up and see if they are any good. Have hut come out of a bad relationship with another series of books and between that and there not being a lot on the market that I am interested in these look like a decent punt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well I finished the third book last night and in my oppinion it was the slowest and least complex of the three and did not properly pick up until half way through. Based on what was shared it would make sense if book 4 will be about his childhood for obvious reasons but the scams to be run can be hard to pull off.
    There was missing a proper big game and plot; in book 1 and 2 there was constantly running two / three major scams at multiple levels but this was clearly lacking in the book. Yes we had the dead aristocrat and the bribing of a counsellor but those felt more like standard scams rather then a major one.

There's obviously building up the magi story arc further with the Falcon who'll they need to battle again but why was he left with the metal in the first place? If they all pulled out to leave no trace why leave him with the metal in the basin? Once again this part felt very much rushed and would have been better to have been brewing through out the book as he slowly regained his mind and woke up rather then as a one chapter addendum in the end.

Dragged myself to the end of the second book and wont be bothering with the third, very tedious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

Loved the first one. I always like books that do great world building. Or probably more "city" building. Plus I could nearly squint and imagine it as part of the Thief game series.

The second book I disliked which was a pity. Started reading this one now and am enjoying it more I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Definitely 1>>>>>3>>2 for me. The series is better than the usual fare but 2 was a bit of a letdown. Definitely picked up in the 3rd and looks good for future books, if they ever get released.

• Advertisement

Finished Red Seas under Red Skies today. I can understand and why people disliked it, it is complexed and drawn out and in the end predictable! But dispite it's flaws I enjoyed it. Mainly down to its two central characters! I'll be returning to book three when I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I'm about 3/4's of the way through republic of thieves. Here's what i think, i liked the first book, all of it, the next 2 books, love the dialogue, the wit etc, however with the last 2 it feels like the first 70% of the book is an introduction and the end plan\finish feels a bit rushed. Almost like gemmill in that you know you've got x amount of pages to go but can't believe it only takes that amount of pages to finish up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I'm about 3/4's of the way through republic of thieves. Here's what i think, i liked the first book, all of it, the next 2 books, love the dialogue, the wit etc, however with the last 2 it feels like the first 70% of the book is an introduction and the end plan\finish feels a bit rushed. Almost like gemmill in that you know you've got x amount of pages to go but can't believe it only takes that amount of pages to finish up.

Got to agree with you, I loved one and two, but book three is plain awful. The whole
    Wizards want us to playfight an election
    main plotline is just so damned contrived and unconvincing and lacking in any drama, that said its much much better than the trip back down memory lane to their
    acting
    days.

Hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Read the first two. As a fan of Renaissance era history, its refreshing to see a fantasy series based outside the traditional medieval setting! And even in the second book, you can already see the character progression.

That said, its fantasy alright, even if you can read past the analogues, different names for stuff like naptha, the casual drug-taking, even calling spectacles optics.

I like how he can make a world so different, yet familiar. And shows the the darker side of the glitz and glamour, hes very good at showing the juxtaposition between rich and poor.

Plus, I mean gladiators fighting sharks on platforms for the nobility? Its great!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've mentioned numerous times in another thread that I'm finding the first book a chore and I still am,I can only read a few pages a day and have to put it down again lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I've mentioned numerous times in another thread that I'm finding the first book a chore and I still am,I can only read a few pages a day and have to put it down again lol

Give up, it's not for you.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Give up, it's not for you.

I think I'll have too,hate quitting books though,only other book I had to quit was the passage.

I read the Passage in 5 or 6 days, it had a couple of flaws but couldn't put it down, same for The Twelve.

Completely bored by the second GB book, I doubt Ill read the third one unless Im very stuck, first one was okay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 GabbyJay

I think I'll have too,hate quitting books though,only other book I had to quit was the passage.

It does improve. Have to say, I hated it in the beginning too. Couldn't believe how badly written it was. Auto-generated characters (none of whom are likeable in the lead), really irritating language (especially the dialogue). It does improve though, there are some good concepts (e.g., the bondsmage). Worth sticking it out till the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

pH wrote: »
    Got to agree with you, I loved one and two, but book three is plain awful. The whole
    Wizards want us to playfight an election
    main plotline is just so damned contrived and unconvincing and lacking in any drama, that said its much much better than the trip back down memory lane to their
    acting
    days.

Agree 100%.About 400 pages in now,and having a change of heart.:(
    Apart from of some their earlier adventures with chains I'm finding the whole election thing boring TBH.I keep hoping it will improve.

GabbyJay wrote: »
    really irritating language (especially the dialogue). .
    Whatever about the other faults, that's the first time I've heard somebody knock it for its dialogue. The banter was for me (and others I believe) one of the big draws of the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Glebee

About half way The lies of loch Lamora at the moment and finding it easy enough going. I would not be the fastest reader but it's holding my attention so far.

ixoy wrote: »
    Whatever about the other faults, that's the first time I've heard somebody knock it for its dialogue. The banter was for me (and others I believe) one of the big draws of the series.

+1

Don't rate the books but genuinely laughed when I read the complaints about the dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 GabbyJay

+1

Don't rate the books but genuinely laughed when I read the complaints about the dialogue.

The dialogue made me cringe. Seemed really forced to me. Normally I don't have a problem with that kind of dialogue (e.g., in the Sparhawk books) but I found it very irritating in TGB.

GabbyJay wrote: »
    The dialogue made me cringe. Seemed really forced to me. Normally I don't have a problem with that kind of dialogue (e.g., in the Sparhawk books) but I found it very irritating in TGB.
    Totally agree, very forced sounding banter between them, and the author repeats it over and over again, God knows how many times one of the main characters jokingly questions the others abilities before the other character does the same, felt like I was reading the same conversation over and over again every chapter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Finished book 3.

I agree with the thoughts of Nody, AnCapaillMor and pH: it felt very rushed and shallow to me, and I was very annoyed with the last chapter. Very deus ex machina there.

I thought book 2 was far superior, and book 1 even better again. If he manages to write book 4 I'll give it a look, but it'll need to raise the game to make books 5 and onward worth reading.

I'll generously give it a 5/10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Trojan wrote: »
    I thought book 2 was far superior, and book 1 even better again. If he manages to write book 4 I'll give it a look, but it'll need to raise the game to make books 5 and onward worth reading.
    Pretty much this; I had book 3 on pre-order after finishing book 2. Book 4 is definitly not on pre-order and when I pick it up will depend on the reviews (i.e. a few weeks after release or once it goes bargain bin).

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

finished reading the first book and have to say it was very good,good characters and a well thought out plot.took me a while to get into it its universe so to speak,one fault id have with the writer is that he tends to overdescribe his surroundings, if that makes sense.

read a sample of the second book on my kindle,not bad but disappointed its not set in camorr.there is another book im interested in called the name of the wind,does anyone know which one would be better to buy.

ronoc 1 wrote: »
    read a sample of the second book on my kindle,not bad but disappointed its not set in camorr.there is another book im interested in called the name of the wind,does anyone know which one would be better to buy.
    Neither series are finished and both series are good, so both? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

Yea just bought the second one,just put off a bit by the mixed reviews here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Tried to read the first one, didn't care for it.

Advertisement