Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there much jobs in Dublin for a CCNA?

Options
  • 07-11-2013 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

My brother is unemployed with no experience in IT. I was thinking about encouraging him to self study a CCNA or similar.
    I am also interested myself, I've read 3/4 of CCENT. But I am studying a degree right now so I am too busy.
    Is the CCNA much use in Dublin, if your looking to get into IT or Networking? Also considering both me and my brother have no work experience in IT at all.
    Would you be better off just trying to get into an entry level postition and focus on the CCNA later. Or would it be benefitial to get it early on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

A CCNA combined with a VCP (VMWare Certified Professional) would land him with something. CCNA only jobs are rare, network jobs tend to prefer CCNP upwards.

In short, he cant go wrong with any of the professional certifications such as MSCITP/VCP/CCNA etc

Oracle DBA certification is also one sought after big time in Ireland. I am sick of getting emails from recruitment companies asking me if my situation has changed as they have a DBA role to fill.

Here is a link to some free online MCITP training. The voice on some of the videos is awful so be warned.

He could do it bit by bit and register with Pro-Metric for the exams. They are pricey so best to have a good grasp before registering.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

You'll be unlikely to get a job in networking without a CCNA unless you have a proven interest, previous experience, or both. If you're thinking more along the lines of system administration, Microsoft exams would be more appropriate (although having a CCNA in addition to MS certs would certainly give you an advantage).

By the way, you should watch your grammar - if a CV came across my desk with the grammatical mistakes you made in your post, I'd throw it out immediately. IT work requires attention to detail.

By the way, you should watch your grammar - if a CV came across my desk with the grammatical mistakes you made in your post, I'd throw it out immediately. IT work requires attention to detail.

Lol, You clearly don't know the IT world well :)

Amazing grammar skills are about as useful as a c0ck flavor lollypop when your DC goes tits up. Id much prefer to hire the guy that can do rather than the guy that knows his commas from his quotations.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

TheBoffin wrote: »
    Lol, You clearly don't know the IT world well :)

Amazing grammar skills are about as useful as a c0ck flavor lollypop when your DC goes tits up. Id much prefer to hire the guy that can do rather than the guy that knows his commas from his quotations.

If you can't manage to use a basic spellchecker on a CV (or make chronic formatting errors); I wouldn't trust you to do a DS restore.

Regardless of that, HR usually decide what CVs to send forward to the technical people for interview and they'll dump poor ones before you ever see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

Thank you for your replies. I was drunk when I posted this thread. Does that explain my poor grammar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

TheBoffin wrote: »
    Amazing grammar skills are about as useful as a c0ck flavor lollypop when your DC goes tits up

Like I said, it's about attention to detail. Do you want someone typing the wrong thing on the command line of an important server or router?

I'll ignore your cheap ad-hominem attack as we both know why you made it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Op, no point doing a CCNA without having worked in IT. Better off with CompTIA A+ first unless you already have a good understanding of computers/IT in general.

Advertisement