Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Service to return Vehicle details.

Options
  • 07-11-2013 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Hi,

just wondering if anyone knows if there is a web service or something similar available to verify if a vehicle registration number is valid?? I know the likes of motorcheck.ie and similar sites have a lookup facility that returns vehicle details, as does https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/pseVehicleSearch.do. Ideally I'd call the webservice passing a registration number and it would return basic details on the vehicle in question, if found.

EDIT: I know there are paid services available, is there a FREE service though??

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

nicol wrote: »
    Hi,

just wondering if anyone knows if there is a web service or something similar available to verify if a vehicle registration number is valid?? I know the likes of motorcheck.ie and similar sites have a lookup facility that returns vehicle details, as does https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/pseVehicleSearch.do. Ideally I'd call the webservice passing a registration number and it would return basic details on the vehicle in question, if found.

EDIT: I know there are paid services available, is there a FREE service though??

Cheers in advance.

I just tried a quick test:
    curl https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/pseVehicleSearchReceiving.do -d vehicleRegistrationNumber=<my car reg here>

It returned me the same HTML as if I'd done it online. Parse out the details from the HTML, and you're sorted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'd be wary about building a business model or an App around scraping and parsing data from a source which normally charges for access to the same data.

Scraping data may work initially on a small scale but don't be surprised if the scraper suddenly finds itself blocked with no notice given, or worse, it becomes a legal issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

I agree, not keen on screen scraping at all.

I wonder where the likes of motorcheck source their data in the first place. I'd assume it comes from Dept. of Transport but how it served to them, nightly data dump, web service??

Graham wrote: »
    I'd be wary about building a business model or an App around scraping and parsing data from a source which normally charges for access to the same data.

Scraping data may work initially on a small scale but don't be surprised if the scraper suddenly finds itself blocked with no notice given, or worse, it becomes a legal issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I have a vague recollection of a web service but don't quote me on that. I do remember a couple of older posts here on boards discussing the same thing, might be worth having a quick trawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Talisman

Access to the National Vehicle and Driver File database is what you are looking for - Check Transport.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

Cheers, will get in contact with them regarding access.
    Talisman wrote: »
    Access to the National Vehicle and Driver File database is what you are looking for - Check Transport.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Talisman

Let us know how you get on.

Advertisement