Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(GAA) Football supporters shouldn't complain about fouling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

josip wrote: »

But more importantly, who let the 2 kids play soccer during half time in a GAA match?

The 21st Century?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Recorded during the Dublin SFC Final replay.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/ThreeTrending/news/video-two-kids-show-cynical-fouling-at-its-funniest-during-half-time-in-the-dublin-sfc-final-replay-29734676.html

Note the big cheer at 0:59. I can understand it from one perspective, but if supporters choose that perspective then they can't complain about the level of fouling that makes a lot of football games painful to watch.

But more importantly, who let the 2 kids play soccer during half time in a GAA match?

Who cares?
    GAA Forum=====>

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭josip

I thought I would get a broader range of opinions in AH on this than in GAA. The GAA forum is fine if you want to discuss the new Cavan left half back or the Tipp back room training regime but I wasn't sure whether topics that might require open discussion would be frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/ThreeTrending/news/video-two-kids-show-cynical-fouling-at-its-funniest-during-half-time-in-the-dublin-sfc-final-replay-29734676.html

Note the big cheer at 0:59. I can understand it from one perspective, but if supporters choose that perspective then they can't complain about the level of fouling that makes a lot of football games painful to watch.

That is absolutely disgusting, it really should be stamped out. There is no excuse for it in this day and age. I mean, what is it with people? It's a terrible example to be showing. You should only record video in landscape!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Seedy Arling

I thought this was going to be about slack jawed GAA fans giving out about dogs littering the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I see 2 kids playing the real football(soccer):confused:

20 years ago, it wouldn't happened/been allowed.
    Many things 20 years ago were bad tho.
    But I don't remember anyone 20 years ago complaining about cynical fouling.
    Has the increasing popularity/encroachment of soccer led to the acceptance of soccer principles in football.

Would you see kids playing soccer at half time in a hurling match?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭A Scoundrel

the level of fouling that makes a lot of football games painful to watch.
    what:confused:

I think that's a tad exaggerated. You get foul play in every contact sport. It's not particularly problematic in GAA, and apart from celebrity bainisteoir, a lot of football is not painful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

20 years ago, it wouldn't happened/been allowed.
    Many things 20 years ago were bad tho.
    But I don't remember anyone 20 years ago complaining about cynical fouling.
    Has the increasing popularity/encroachment of soccer led to the acceptance of soccer principles in football.

Would you see kids playing soccer at half time in a hurling match?
    It's two 5 year olds kicking a ball about? What are you talking about?

This thread confuses me. And I have this song in my head so ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭lahalane

Because they cheered over two kids messing, they can have no complaints about fouling in football? Could you elaborate please?

Also I'm sure this kind of discussion wouldnt be too 'sophisticated' for the GAA forum. Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder over GAA fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Overreaction much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Celtic fans get into fights with police in Amsterdam last night with numerous arrests and injuries but THIS is what gets your goat :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

What I see is the reckless abandon and brevity of youth. Bring in as many rule-changes as you like to clean up the game, but it would be a crying shame to deny young children from partaking in what is harmless fun that one would witness in town parks and estates up and down the country.

lahalane wrote: »
    Because they cheered over two kids messing, they can have no complaints about fouling in football? Could you elaborate please?

Also I'm sure this kind of discussion wouldnt be too 'sophisticated' for the GAA forum. Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder over GAA fans?

I'm a GAA fan myself.

To elaborate.
    Any kid watching in the ground at the time will remember the big cheer the kid on the pitch got for pushing over the other lad to get the ball. Will they bring that memory with them the next time they go out to practice/play? What's acceptable when they play football when they're 9 or 10 won't be forgotten when they're playing senior.

I'm not saying this 1 incident will cause thousands of fouls at inter county level, but I'm wondering if others think it's indicative of the source/prevalence of fouling in football?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Well this is GAA and according to AH the GAA is the source of all evil in Ireland. Look at them brainwashing those poor kids to be assassins in order for the GAA to destroy anyone that stands in their way of total world domination

iDave wrote: »
    Celtic fans get into fights with police in Amsterdam last night with numerous arrests and injuries but THIS is what gets your goat :rolleyes:

It's been a very long time since I wasted any time considering the behaviour of Glasgow Celtic supporters.

I don't have a goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I'm a GAA fan myself.

To elaborate.
    Any kid watching in the ground at the time will remember the big cheer the kid on the pitch got for pushing over the other lad to get the ball. Will they bring that memory with them the next time they go out to practice/play? What's acceptable when they play football when they're 9 or 10 won't be forgotten when they're playing senior.

I'm not saying this 1 incident will cause thousands of fouls at inter county level, but I'm wondering if others think it's indicative of the source/prevalence of fouling in football?

no...no its not. Not in the slightest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 326 ✭✭Savoir.Faire

The most entertaining part of many local GAA matches (in both codes) is cynical fouling, random acts of violence and some lad called Michael 'Stonewall' Murphy lifting an opponent out of it when the ref is down the other end of the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

This should be in the GAA forum. Don't post in AH just to reach a wider audience (it's in the Charter)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement