Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Putting american on my car insurance

Options
  • 07-11-2013 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I am planning a home exchange with an american family for next summer. We will be swapping cars as well. I have looked at a number of terms and conditions for different car insurance companies and all seem to say driver must be from the eu if he/she is to be a named driver on the policy. My insurance is up for renewal soon and I was wondering if anyway knows an insurance company that will let us put an american on our insurance for a few weeks.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think most insurance companies will do it for a price - ring them and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

or get a Broker to do it all for you.... you should also make sure the Americans can get insurance on your car

sorry misunderstood, thought you wanted to add an American CAR to your policy in the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

Maybe try Liberty Insurance - when I came here first they were the only ones who would insure me with an International Drivers License. I had to apply for a international license in California first before I came (They wont take a US license) but this can be done very easily there at any AAA office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

I've done this a few times with Allianz and with Axa (american friends coming over).

For me it usually is only an extra €20 on my policy for the year.

The Americans have never needed an international license, just get a copy of their American license and send that to your insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mary234

Thanks for all the replies, I had no idea so many companies would cover it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement