Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple vs the rest - budget

Options
  • 07-11-2013 9:37am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking at getting a new laptop for a while. I was talking of buying a windows laptop but any time I use an apple I really like them.

I'm familiar with both windows and apple operating systems so that's not an issue.

I've a budget of €2,000 (incl. VAT).

Looking for the best all round laptop I can get for that.

What would you go for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Shane732 wrote: »
    I've been looking at getting a new laptop for a while. I was talking of buying a windows laptop but any time I use an apple I really like them.

I'm familiar with both windows and apple operating systems so that's not an issue.

I've a budget of €2,000 (incl. VAT).

Looking for the best all round laptop I can get for that.

What would you go for?

What are you planning to use it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

If you're spending that sort of money, the apple will retain at least 50% more residual value over the lifetime. Check the refurb store

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

What are you planning to use it for?

To take over the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

To take over the world!

Hmmm. The Brain might set up an Apple-like company in an effort to take over the world, but he'd probably use Linux...

If it's for photography or music, Apple. If it's for hardcore gaming or data crunching, Windows. If it's neither...personal preference...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Hey Shane hope all well. Get a 15inch MacBook Pro retina simply the best laptop you will thank me for it.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Hey Shane hope all well. Get a 15inch MacBook Pro retina simply the best laptop you will thank me for it.

Go for a 15 as opposed to 13?

Ok so assuming I go for an Apple, which would you go for?

1. MacBook Pro 15-inch €2,348

2.3Ghz Quad Core i7 turbo boost up to 3.5Ghz
    Retina Display
    16GB RAM
    256GB Storage

2. MacBook Pro 13-inch €2,248

2.8 Dual Core i7 turbo boost to 3.3Ghz
    Retina Display
    16GB RAM
    512GB Storage

Opinions?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

windows vs IOS well there is no competition really.
    Generally I would sya to people if you need to ask then you do not need to spend the crazy money on a Mac Book.

I would go for the 13".
    It is so light and easy to bring around.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

I'm in the same boat as OP with same budget interested to see what people opinion is over the 15 or 13 the late mbp retina 13 looks good to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I got the base 13" with 8gb ram and a 256 SSD. Serious machine. Really love it.

Ok in the end I went for a Lenovo 14" - Core i7 4700MQ - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit / 8 Pro 64-bit downgrade - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB HDD

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ok in the end I went for a Lenovo 14" - Core i7 4700MQ - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit / 8 Pro 64-bit downgrade - 8 GB RAM - 500 GB HDD

Get yourself an SSD for the laptop, it'll make a huge difference to the performance.

Get yourself an SSD for the laptop, it'll make a huge difference to the performance.

I fully intend to - wanted to spend the money on the processor though when buying as I can upgrade to an SSD any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

What did it set you back in the end?

nudger wrote: »
    What did it set you back in the end?

About €1,500 ex. VAT.

Advertisement