Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspbian & Wifi

Options
  • 06-11-2013 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I am trying to setup up my wifi on my Raspberry Pi but the IP address keeps appearing and disappearing from the the Current Status on the wpa_gui.

What am I overlooking here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Dempsey wrote: »
    I am trying to setup up my wifi on my Raspberry Pi but the IP address keeps appearing and disappearing from the the Current Status on the wpa_gui.

What am I overlooking here?

What Wireless dongle are you using?

I worked on a project and the "hardware guy" bought a load of raspberries, and these dongles called "Wi-Pi". Despite being advertised as "perfect for the raspberry Pi", and despite realtek based chipsets, their driver was in no major kernel, so every time we fresh installed, we had to build a new kernel. Major PITA.

Having switched from that to using Alfa network adapters. The Orinoco of 2010-2020, we found they needed an external powered USB hub because they needed a lot of juice.

It sounds to me much like the power issue we encountered. For us the wireless dongle kept dropping, which would give the effect of the IP regularly disappearing.

Tell us more about your setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I ordered an Ultimate Kit off modmypi so compatibility shouldnt and wasnt the issue.

After posting on here, abit of searching brought me across this

http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-raspberry-pi-lesson-3-network-setup/test-and-configure
    Create and edit a new file in /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/8192cu.conf

and paste the following in

# Disable power saving
    options 8192cu rtw_power_mgnt=0 rtw_enusbss=1 rtw_ips_mode=1

Then reboot with sudo reboot

This sorted out my issue perfectly.

Another issue I'm having is with static ip address for the pi

https://www.modmypi.com/blog/tutorial-how-to-give-your-raspberry-pi-a-static-ip-address

Now, I have followed this tutorial to the letter but my ip address for the RPi hasnt changed to the address I want it to be. I have double & triple checked the setting relating to my network, I just cant see it. Any advice?

I ordered an Ultimate Kit off modmypi so compatibility shouldnt and wasnt the issue.

After posting on here, abit of searching brought me across this

http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-raspberry-pi-lesson-3-network-setup/test-and-configure

This sorted out my issue perfectly.

Another issue I'm having is with static ip address for the pi

https://www.modmypi.com/blog/tutorial-how-to-give-your-raspberry-pi-a-static-ip-address

Now, I have followed this tutorial to the letter but my ip address for the RPi hasnt changed to the address I want it to be. I have double & triple checked the setting relating to my network, I just cant see it. Any advice?

Its 2013 and power Management is still causing problems.

Regarding the IP issue look at your router. Some routers have quite a long DHCP lease so they IP stays the same for quite a long time. You might be able to renew DHCP leases on the router which will give your edvice the IP you want. Some routers allow you to punch in the MAC address of a device so it always gets the same IP, which means you don't need to change anything on your device. Handy for laptops and other devices which will travel a lot and you will want to use DHCP everywhere but home.

The IP address I had chosen was within the DHCP address range, (i.e. by default on the router the DHCP range is 1-200 of the ip address & the DHCP lease is set for 1 hour).

I changed my RPi to an address outside of this range and restarted my router but its still using the DHCP address given

The IP address I had chosen was within the DHCP address range, (i.e. by default on the router the DHCP range is 1-200 of the ip address & the DHCP lease is set for 1 hour).

I changed my RPi to an address outside of this range and restarted my router but its still using the DHCP address given

Then set the ip by typing

ifconfig eth0 192.168.201

Assuming eth0 is your interface and 201 is the address you assign.

Running dhclient again might fix it also.

• Advertisement

I've it sorted now, I had the static ip address done for the ethernet, not for the wifi. :o

I'm using wifi at the moment. In fairness, I'm not using linux long so it can take a while for the penny to drop! Least now it will be the same static ip address whether its ethernet or wifi!

Advertisement