Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Telescope for a 9 year old boy.

Options
  • 06-11-2013 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

Im wondering if you guys can help because after reading the sticky I still have not got a clue. My 9 year old boy has a deep interest in all things astronomy and he has been asking for a telescope for the last 8 or 9 months now. We have decided to get him one for Christmas as we know its a lot more than a passing thing with him.

So my question is where do I start with a budget of around 250, I hoping that what we get will be good enough to engage him ever more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

wingnut32 wrote: »
    So my question is where do I start with a budget of around 250, I hoping that what we get will be good enough to engage him ever more.

Does he already have binoculars? If not, then a good pair would be more useful than a €250 telescope. 10 or 12 by 50s with a mount and tripod.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

As Astronomy Ireland use to always say do not get one of the telescopes you see in Smyths or any other toy shop. They are not good to say the least and will actually put a kid off their interest in Astronomy as they will have their telescope but not be able to see anything with it and will thus lose interest very fast. Get a good pair of binoculars to start off with and maybe take the boy along to a local Astronomy club meeting to let him look through a good telescope. I remember as a 10 year old kid going along with my mum to my local club's viewing nights and it really grew my interest in all things Astronomy. Even though I didn't understand the terminology at the time I just loved looking through some scopes to see some lovely sights, seeing the rings of Saturn for the first time at that age was mind blowing:) .

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

You could try this:

http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Telescopes/Skywatcher-Telescopes/Skywatcher-Tabletop-Telescopes/Skywatcher-Heritage-130P-FlexTube-Dobsonian-Telescope.html

I saw one a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised as to the quality of the images. Perfect for the Moon and planets.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Going to echo previous posters.Binoculars with tripod are the way to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Saw this inside Maplins store Celestron AstroMaster 114EQ £100 don't know € price
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/buy-leisure/binoculars-telescopes-and-night-vision/telescopes
    But the Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ Motor Drive Reflector would be much better £190 should still be within €250 budget. Which can also be collected in store.

me zero connection with Maplins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

EQ mounted reflector, either 114 or 130mm, would be a disaster for a 9 year old. Absolute disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭nuttyboy79

I would agree with both murphyme2010 and Kersh the Dob in the link would be ideal very little set up and nice views of easily found objects and the 2 scopes Tomk1 mentioned would be difficult for him to set up and the views through it would be much the same as with the Dob . If he wants a telescope a pair of bino's just wont cut the mustard.

If you are based in Dublin bring him down to the car park beside the martello tower in Sandymount next Friday if its clear, there is a monthly meet up happening where there will be scopes of all sizes you both can look through and people that can help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

Thanks for all the replies. I would have loved to take him down to Sandymount but we are away at vapefest next week so its a no go. Im going to take him in to scopes and space tomorrow morning, the lads seemed really helpful when I called them. Hopefully we'll get a better idea tomorrow.
    Cheers!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭nuttyboy79

Let us know how you get on. The details for the meet ups in Sandymount are here

http://irishastrosoc.org

Come down and say hi one of the nights.

Advertisement