Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Recommendation

Options
  • 06-11-2013 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭

Apologies in advance for yet another 'What bike should I get thread..'

I have recently started to think about getting a bike mainly for commuting in and out of work but also for some weekend spins if I get into it.The reasons for wanting the bike are mainly to try and get a bit fitter/ lose a few pounds and also to save a bit of cash on bus fares. I have no real intention of joining a bike club or getting into competitive racing although I suppose that may change if I really like it.

I live 10km from work and my commute would be along the N11 into Stephens Green. I should be able to store my bike off the street. Initially, I was planning on getting a hybrid bike but after reading some threads here, the advice seems to be to get a road bike. However, I have literally no bike experience other than a BMX when I was a kid and a mountain bike to cycle the 10 mins to school when I was a teenager almost 20 years ago :eek:

So am I mad to be considering going straight for a road bike? Looking around, I like the look of a Giant Defy 3. I'm 6'6 tall and from what I have read, Giant bikes tend to be a bit larger than others. I can avail of the bike to work scheme.

My initial thought was to try and pick up a cheap secondhand bike somewhere to try it out but I don't want to buy something bad that will sour my experience of cycling.

When I add up the cost of a decent bike and a small amount of gear with the savings from the bike to work scheme, the cost is pretty much the same as about 4/ 5 months of bus commuting. So my thought is to buy a decent bike and a small bit of gear and to give it a go for a few months and then if I don't like cycling, I won't have spent much more money than I would have taking the bus and I can sell the bike. Or hopefully, I will really like it and take to heading out on the weekends too.

I'd love to get the thoughts of some of the posters here about whether I am being too ambitious going straight for a road bike and whether I would be better off picking up a cheap hybrid from Rothar or somewhere else. And what (if any:( ) other bikes would be large enough for someone who is 6'6.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

What makes you think that you have to make a step up to a road bike? If it's appropriate, then there's no step to be made.

Fwiw, have a read of the perfect commuter bike threads. Support for full mudguards and a pannier rack will make the journey more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

I got a Giant rapid 2 back in the summer. I really cannot recommend it enough.

Perfect all round bike..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Idleater wrote: »
    What makes you think that you have to make a step up to a road bike? If it's appropriate, then there's no step to be made.

Just that I have no experience with dropbars and no cycling experience and road bikes seem quite advanced to a non cyclist like me. Having said that, at the moment I am leaning towards getting a road bike but I just wanted to make sure I'm not crazy. :)

Thanks not yet, I'll have a look at the Rapid 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Just that I have no experience with dropbars and no cycling experience and road bikes seem quite advanced to a non cyclist like me. Having said that, at the moment I am leaning towards getting a road bike but I just wanted to make sure I'm not crazy. :)

Thanks not yet, I'll have a look at the Rapid 2.

Honestly, get yourself on one for a spin and you'll be sold. It's a road bike but with flat bars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Don't buy a flat bar road bike.
    It's not a road bike with flat bars, it's just a "sporty" hybrid.

If you buy a Giant Rapid or Lapierre Shaper or something like that you will be kicking yourself for not buying a proper road bike in a few months time, I know because I did the exact same thing. Bought a Lapierre RCR (older version of the Shaper), was a grand bike, I enjoyed it for short spins, but anything over 10km it's pass it's real use. A road bike is more comfortable over longer distances for a number of reasons, and noticeable faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

A giant rapid is faster than a regular hybrid, just as a 'proper' road bike is faster than a rapid. But a rapid is still a good bike, holds value well, and regularly turns up second hand. Not everybody wants or takes to a drop bar bike.
    I suggest you get a second hand rapid, and if you want to move up to a road bike after a few months your rapid should have held its (second hand) value and can use BTW then. Also good idea to borrow some bikes to try if possible to get a feel of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Seaneh wrote: »
    Best advice ever.
    The OP can get a road bike either supplied with mudguards and a rack, or with attachment points for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's not a road bike with flat bars, it's just a "sporty" hybrid.

If you buy a Giant Rapid or Lapierre Shaper or something like that you will be kicking yourself for not buying a proper road bike in a few months time, I know because I did the exact same thing. Bought a Lapierre RCR (older version of the Shaper), was a grand bike, I enjoyed it for short spins, but anything over 10km it's pass it's real use. A road bike is more comfortable over longer distances for a number of reasons, and noticeable faster.

I'd contest the speed bit. All my Strava KOMs and PBs were set on my Giant Rapid 4. I'm on a road bike now, Giant Defy 2, and I'm struggling to match them. I know I'll beat them, but they'll be marginal gains, so in my experience I wouldn't say noticeably faster.

The Rapid was a more comfortable commuter, quicker off the mark, had more responsive handling, and allowed for quicker gear changing that suited commuting in traffic.

That said, I'd still go for a road bike :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I am on a Trek myself and love it. You sit slightly higher which for a newcomer to road bikes is great. Giant as super though, cant fault them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Flat bars are a PITA for commuting because they're wide and make it hard to filter between the traffic.

Get a road bike, put mudguards and a rear carrier on it.

Buy decent lights (nothing mad expensive, but not sh1te - you'll find some recommendations across the forum or get something like this and this or these online).

Spend €70-80 on a lock.

Buy fatter tyres and a track pump (a proper floor standing pump). If you rarely cycle you probably have limited bike handling skills and you'll (probably) get regular punctures from kerbs & potholes if you have badly inflated skinny tyres.

AFAIK you can buy all that on the B2W scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

I've just put up 10,000 miles, mostly commuting, on my Defy 1, my first bike in 30 years.
    If I could choose again, I would pick a nicer colour.

Advertisement